Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip Sirloin Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip Sirloin Roast

Picked up a 2 lbs Tri Tip sirloin roast today to grill over the weekend and need advice on preparation and grilling it as I have never grilled a Tri Tip. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

I always do this reverse sear. Low and slow to internal temp of 125 then onto a very hot grill for a good sear. I like mine pretty rare. Make sure to slice across the grain, and note that the grain runs in two different directions. I slice mine in half at the "grain change" location, and then slice each half.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said. Almost word for word what I would suggest.

I usually end up having a tri tip once or twice a month and is one of my favorite cuts. Great flavor and it takes seasoning very well so it is a good piece to test different rubs on. Big Bad Beef Rub is one of my favorites. Charcoal based rubs like Hardcore Carnivore Black and the new Fogo Charcoal rub are excellent on it as well.

I too like reverse sear on a Weber kettle with an SNS. I’ve also been doing them with my Santa Maria grill attachment which is more direct grilling and requires a little more attention.

Id stick with reverse sear.

Comment

Yep, reverse sear is the way to go.

Comment

I agree, reverse sear. Treat it like a big ole steak and slice across the two different grains.

Comment

First one I ever cooked, an old Mexican buddy of mine said "season it with fajita seasoning, and burn the hell out of it." Been doing it that way every since.

Comment

What everybody has already said.

Red oak or something similar for smoke if you are going in that direction.

Comment

I’m the opposite. I grill first, then indirect. That way I can control the crust that I want. I also grill "three sides" and mop. Once done to the internal temp that I want, remove, pour remaining mop sauce over TT, cover and rest 10 minutes. Pappy is spot on with regards to the "2 separate grain directions".

Comment

Thanks all as always for such prompt and informative responses! Certainly going with the reverse sear, and not to be a bother, however any guidance on preparation (I.e., dry rub or marinade)? I did note your response Joesousa; it appears marinade is not a preference?

Comment

• rodkeary
                  rodkeary commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meathead’s BBBR is my choice for a rub. Tri tip really needs no marinade as it already has a bold beefy flavour that you don’t want to mess with. I know some do go with a board sauce though.

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SPG for a rub, maybe some paprika for color. I like a board sauce, something like EVOO, parsley, cilantro, garlic, and a bit of red wine vinegar. Hard to beat.

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We like the Cow Crust

I hope you have enough for leftovers. Thin sliced tri tip cooked medium rare is awesome as a roast beef sandwich. My mouth waters just thinking about it, and I am not a roast beef sandwich kinda gal.

I'm another vote for keeping the seasoning simple and savory. I also think sweet seasonings or sauces definitely have no place at this particular party.
                Last edited by IowaGirl; June 8, 2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

In my experience, Tri-Tip is one of the most versatile cuts going. You can pretty much do anything to it and it turns out well. As others have pointed out, reverse searing works well, so does sear and indirect. Cooking all hot with frequent turns, like Churrasco is great too. Tri-Tip benefits from some resting time in most cases. I usually rest 10-20 minutes for best texture. At my house, we use it a lot for tacos/fajitas, bulgogi, and other Asian specialties. It never disappoints.

Comment

I have a weber kettle rotisserie ring that I use for tri tip. I put oak in a smoke box (red oak if I have it) and let it spin until the blue smoke is gone. Usually that puts me at about 110 degrees. I then sear the sides to get a good crust (wife won't let me use anything other than BBBR, and she's right), and that method brings me up to about 130. Let it rest, slice it properly, and serve. There's usually enough left over for tri tip salads during the work week (controlled burn sour cream combo, along with a cilantro cream dressing).

Been thinking about trying a Cardiff Crack recipe...seems like an interesting take on Beef Burgundy...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip02.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	691649Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip2.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	691650
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip03.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	565.0 KB
ID:	691651

Comment

• Bkhuna
                      Bkhuna commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love my Weber Kettle rotisserie. Great for big rib roasts over wood fire.

The recipe on this website works well. I turn it into sandwiches with some roasted garlic aioli

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here