Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauce for Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sauce for Brisket

What kind of BBQ sauce do you recommend for brisket? What is traditional? Planning on doing a Brisket over the weekend and make my own sauce. Been looking at recipes and there seems to be quite a variance as to the type recommended on different web sites.

Do you want to make your own or go commercial?

Comment

We enjoy MH's Texas Mop Sauce: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...barbecue-juice

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a modified version of this. In the end I hit it with the blender, and the put in the pit to thicken. IF I sauce. I personally like in unssuced

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on the bbq juice. That's all I use on brisket now. I put other stuff on the table for guests though.

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just going to recommend MH Texas Mop.
        I make it pretty much every time I smoke a brisket. I render a lot of the trimmed fat - saving all but a few tablespoons as BeefLove.
        As the brisket is smoking, I render the Beef Love (take an hour or more), put a few tablespoons in a pot, add the chopped peppers, onions and garlic and saute a little while, then toss in the many ingredients.
        IMHO, it's a pretty flexible recipe.
        I go a little lighter on the Worcester and hot sauce

Technically, "traditional" brisket bullies would say no sauce for brisket, but if I'm making a brisket sandwich I like a drizzle of KC style sauce.

Comment

BBQ sauce for brisket?

At most I save some of the "au jus" I capture from the wrap and serve with that, but I think MH's mop sauce would be good. I sure wouldn't use a thick commercial BBQ sauce. Personally, I've never had any sauce on brisket, either here or the couple of times I've had it in a Texas BBQ joint. I bet if I offered it my wife would eat it though. She likes to ruin the steaks I make for her with steak sauce...

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like my wife and HP Sauce....stuff tastes like turpentine to me....

I was going to make some, I'd like to have something on hand for people's personal preferences and in case it comes out a little dry. I'm going to do the Texas Mop sauce off the free site, and thought I'd make another. Trying to recall, is a beef bbq sauce traditionally sweet?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          NO

I try to stay away from sauces on brisket personally, I want to taste the brisket.
        Maybe Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce if its on a bun or roll.
        I've never attempted to smoke a brisket, I do my brisket in the oven double wrapped in foil, the juices that come off that meat are quite simply amazing.
        I put the au jus in the freezer to congel the fat, then reduce it some more on the stove.
        Chanel No 5 for men....or ladies as the case may be.

Comment

Yup, best sauce is no sauce just jus

Comment

For me, puttin' a sauce on brisket would be like puttin' ketchup on steak. I don't do it, but since it's your brisket, go ahead.

Comment

Let me rephrase the question, for beef generally, do you prefer a sweeter sauce or a tarter, vinegary sauce? Is one or the other generally regarded as more "traditional" for beef?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Tart, vinegary, savoury, spicy vs sweet, to suit my personal tastes, if used, at all...
                Have ya ever tried makin any of my '001' Sauce?

(Can always make it into '001B', by addin some o yer fave bourbon, cookin it down, a lil more... )

Try it, if yer amenable, make it yer own, lemme know what ya think, Brother...

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Truth be told, Bullseye is a purty decent pairin, upside o some beef, imo, as fer as commercial sauces go...

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                You can say that again Mr. Bones

Ketchup

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m kidding

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol I reserve cat soup fer whenever I git lazy, an jus boil my brisky, butt, yardbird, or, especial, some ribs...

That, plus some liquid smoke in th water = bbq nirvana
                P.S.: mebbe a dash of msg, as well

My recommendation would def. be a tarter vinegary sauce. It goes well with the rich brisket flavor. As Meathead says: there are no rules in the kitchen or in the bedroom. If you want sauce, then go make a great sauce, eat and be happy.

Comment

The best sauce for brisket is clarified purge from sous viding one.

Comment

The sauces I have tasted in Texas at some different brisket places were fairly heavy on the cumin flavor. Aaron Franklin has a recipe in his Franklin BBQ book for the sauce they have on the tables at the restaurant. I would go with something like that. Definitely not sweet and not super vinegary. More tomato based with lots of black pepper and cumin.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1. His Classic Sauce recipe is amazing.

Aaron Franklin does a brisket sauce in his 3 part brisket videos. Lots of butter and onion. I've made it a few times and it's always a hit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here