Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New Chili Recipe: I need Feedback B4 I publish it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Chili Recipe: I need Feedback B4 I publish it

Here is a recipe that I have been working on for a while. I'd love to have some of you who really know Texas Chili try it and tell me what you think http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...con_carne.html

Looks like a great winter time too cold and rainy to hunt dish.

Comment

I am not an expert on chili, but it looks good. When I make chili, I tend to use varietal chile powders like ancho, chile de arbol, etc. so I can get the flavor and heat I want. But they can be a bit hard to find. You can see my recipes here: http://markiscooking.com/?p=18 and here: http://markiscooking.com/?p=19

Being lactose intolerant, I shuddered when you added milk chocolate. Generally I think it's good rule to not have milk products in a traditionally milk-free dish. Could make for a bad evening for an unsuspecting guest! I'm not going to mention that it messes with the kosher law of mixing milk and meat because you already have bacon in there!

Comment

The chili powder is linked to a home meade recipe where you can make your own mix. But good point on the milk!

Comment

I would say that if you are using pork instead of beef a *little* cinnamon goes well. Otherwise, I would suggest a little dill weed for the beef. Personally, I would leave out the carrots, but it sounds yummy.

For myself, I have found that using a can of Ortega instead of the diced tomatoes is also popular and adds a fair amount of heat.
          Last edited by boftx; August 3, 2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Cook it and let me know.

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife is out of town this week so I can cook anything I want. I'm going to try two batches of this, one following the recipe exactly, and the other with changes. I'll try to do it with actual measured quantities.

Mighty interesting, and looks good. My go-to chili recipe is the one Cook's Illustrated put out a few years ago, which (1) doesn't feature smoked beef, (2) includes home-made chili powder (from dried chiles), and (3) includes beans (which I prefer).

When the weather gets a little cooler (October?), I'll give your recipe a shot and let you know my thoughts.

Comment

As your title said "Classic Texas Chili Con Carne". The presentation looks fantastic, no beans (Yep, Texas Style), lots of beef (Yep, Texas Style), Lime wedge, sour cream (After I try it exactly as you have prepared it I might try plain yogurt for a little different flavor), fresh diced jalapenos ( Fresh might be to hot for my old burned out stomach but it sure gets the saliva flowing just looking at it, and the bacon (nice and crispy). Again, a great presentation.

I might get to it this weekend but, no guarantees.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure what hard core chili fans will think about the carrots and sour cream. But I like them!

• dprice
              dprice commented
              Editing a comment
              I am a firm believer that taste trumps tradition!

That's OK, it qualifies to be Texas Chili and I suspect the carrots not only add color but being sugary it will add just a bit of sweetness.

Comment

OK, I will try it---even with the carrots...

Comment

Made this tonight, used stewing beef, excellent, base recipe slightly mild for my taste, I will add fresh hot peppers to beef and onions when they are browning next batch. Chips and milk chocolate blended in nicely, great texture on the sauce. I think it needs some more zing, another flavour twist of some sort. I was thinking some nutmeg and cinnamon might work well. Great recipe overall, looking forward to leftovers this week. PS: the carrots were perfect, don't care what chili nazis think, would be a boring texture without them.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I always go easy on the zingers but minced jalapenos are a great pick me up.

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Forgot to mention I did some pickled jalapeños and onions on top that were great. I do mine in vinegar with a little salt and sugar and a splash of water. The tang from the vinegar really compliments the rich, smokey, savoury flavour of the chili.
                  Last edited by bbqoaf; August 11, 2014, 10:21 PM.

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oooooo! I like the pickles on top. I always have some pickled onions and jalapenos on hand. I'll try it!

My twist on Texas chili is to use New Mexico grown Hatch chili versus jalapeno or in addition to. There are several varieties that have been developed which offer mild to hot capsaicin levels. September through October in New Mexico is magical for pepper heads as there is a prevalence of pepper cooker/vendors hanging out with their barrels made of expanded metal spinning around above a row of gas fueled burners crisping the Hatch peppers for sale.

I HIGHLY encourage any chili heads who read this and have yet to experience Hatch chilis to go on line and find a vendor who processes these chilis. You can buy them diced and frozen in ziplock bags shipped directly to your door steps. My preference is the hotter variety such as Sandia. There are hotter varieties as well.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. I have a green chile burger New Mexico style that calls for hatch (but offers substitutions if you can't find them). They are unique

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here