Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Ribs - a classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Ribs - a classic

I decided to put one of the eight cheapo grills I bought to the test today. I did a dry run yesterday to see how it behaved, and today was cook day. I placed the Slow N Sear in the grill, and I have applied a felt gasket to the lid, so it doesn't leak air anywhere. I used 'cuba' charcoal, a real good charcoal made from the Marabu tree. I always use briquettes with the SnS, so I thought it would be fun to use charcoal for once. I got a good 7 hours running at 130° C / 265° F.

I used two chunks of cherry wood for smoke flavor. All in all the cook took 5.5 hours, plus 1 hour rest in a faux cambro. Easy cook, didn't even touch them until they were done. I used my own Signature rub, I think it's a good match for that bold beefy flavor.

The beef ribs, just out of the faux cambro

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2457.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	690168

Here they are, sliced, real juicy:

Name:	IMG_2462.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	690167

I served them with some green beans and blue cheese.

Name:	IMG_2468.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	690166

That blue cheese is a great match for beef ribs.

Dannnnng! Looks great Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks my man! I'm glad I'm doing these practice cooks, always helps with a new cooker. This one is a bit slower than a Weber when it comes to tweaking temps with the vents. Most likely because the holes are just a bit smaller.

So, the cheap kettles is the key! Ok, where do we get one, where do we get one?

The wibs look gweat BTW. 👍 🕶

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, I'm so far impressed with them. Although I kind of cheated, since I put in a felt gasket and an SnS. But still, definitely worth it!

Nice.

Comment

FireMan I know you’re kidding but I saw this in Savannah and was waiting for a chance to post.

Name:	98A6E965-D6A0-4F81-9FDB-20FC00B820E6.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	690187

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        There you go! Ladies and gents, place your orders ;-)

Just goes to show, it ain’t necessarily the cooker but the cookie that matters 👍

Nice work, love the blue cheese, good touch !!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly! And thanks Troutman

Nice looking cook, Henrik I know everybody is gaga over the plate short ribs, but they are difficult to get around here. I would have to special order them and pay a premium price. I can get chuck shorties like yours at the supermarket if I ask nicely, and, if they have a special on short ribs, they are reasonably priced. I have had good luck with them and folks seem to like them, especially if there are some who don't eat pork ! I mostly use APL's approach but use BBBR with cumin.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a great flavor combo too. I don't find them that often here either, these are from Nebraska. Travelled a long way to end up in my belly :-)

Great lookin' ribs Henrik.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron!

Love me some beef ribs. And those look perfect Henrik.....

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Video coming tomorrow!

Makes me want to do some soon! Nice!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        The thing is they are just as easy/forgiving as a pork butt. I just put them on, waited, and boom: done. Easy peasy! My kind of dinner :-)

Made me hungry. Nice cook.

Comment

Those look amazing.
        Looks like I'm finding some beef ribs to smoke this weekend.

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Good looking cook. Better tasting, I bet.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here