Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somebody's Doing Something....UPDATE NUMERO UNO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody's Doing Something....UPDATE NUMERO UNO

....which will be revealed in 56 days and 18 hours from now ......

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dry Age 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	426.7 KB ID:	690158Click image for larger version  Name:	Dry Age as of 6-2-19.jpg Views:	1 Size:	580.6 KB ID:	690159
    Last edited by Troutman; July 1, 2019, 09:57 AM.

Very nice! I still have the Unami bags that I need to dry age in. That is gonna have to wait until July though.

Comment

Seeing how beautiful that 2nd picture looks, I couldn't wait one day, let alone 56+.

Comment

Hmm... A grass fed grass finished USDA GRADED brisket?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah a few farms have managed to get to choice, nobody to my knowledge has made prime yet though. Briskets themselves are not graded, only certain cuts. Have to go by you own sight and feel. This one looks good. MBMorgan

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          This one is the best I've seen. It's fully trimmed, all I have to do is dry age and cook. The flat thin end is about 1 1/4" thick as well. This is a real nice looking brisket, especially for a grocery store. Gonna be guuuuuud....

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I buy HEB Waygu, and Prime Packers all the time. Picked up 3 the other day that are wet aging right now. Interested in the grass fed as we raise grass fed Angus and Longhorn, but grind the briskets for chili.

I'm so jealous that we can't get meat like that around here.

Comment

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          can you still get Stoudts beer?

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never heard of it.

Dry aging one month in today, 30 days to go. This experiment is going to have the kitchen sink thrown at it. Update soon....

Click image for larger version

Name:	45 day brisket 02.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	705372

....oh yea and the hits just keep on coming. This one to follow that one.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagyu 02.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	705374Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagyu 01.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	705373

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Only $5.99/lbs? That's a pretty good deal!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't knwo what to think of that either...."American Wagyu" for $6/lb. I'm dialing up the BS, getting ready to call it....

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Well dial away. Locally sourced. I have not cooked one but will give it a try. Their Prime 1 (which is better than Costco Prime imo) is $3.49/lb and is great. Welcome to Texas.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. I would be skeptical of how a grass fed brisket would taste but would love to give it a shot.

And the American Wagyu for that price is crazy. Might be worth renting a refrigerator truck and heading to Texas one of these days.

Comment

That update pic looks amazing. I can't wait to see what it looks like in another 30 days. What was the weight when started?

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            ....which will be revealed in 56 days and 18 hours from now ......
            That's an impractically long sous vide time... ;-)

(yes, I know you are dry aging).

If I haven't already expressed skepticism of dry age improving a grass finished brisket... I'll keep my mouth shut...

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Why no, whatever do you mean. 😀

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              We'll find out. As I say this is a personal experiment to satisfy my own curiosity. Our grocery locally sources these meats and is offering a wide variety of cuts. Their Prime 1 beef is as good as I've gotten locally, better than Costco imo.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I love the spirit of experimentation. Good luck. I’d also hate to resemble a certain someone on here, which is why I’m curious about the outcome.

Looking forward to both cooks!

Comment

Today $2lb. Going back Thursday to clean them out of good ones. All 8 + kilos.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Holy mackerel Batman !!! That’s quite a haul. I’m overwhelmed with just two 👍

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                You Northerner's need to step up your game! Make hay while the sun shines

I can't see how it is possible to get prime beef from grass fed beef... That being said I am interested to hear what Troutman thinks of this brisket.. I have a prime brisket from a nice Shorthorn in the freezer right now just got to figure out when I am going to cook it!! But mine brisket is corn finished.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman. What are you going to do to that brisket? Chain it in your basement and whip it for 2 hours while throwing salt at it? Then post to Youtube as tenderizing technique?

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                All will be revealed in 30 days.

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman I will be watching.. not a huge grass fed beer fan but... U never know til ya try I guess

An update on the American Wagyu I purchased at HEB Grocery. When I got home and put it in my meat refrig to wet age, I flipped it around and noticed that the source was Mishima Reserve out of Washington. I remember seeing these guys a while back so I went and found their website. The guy that started this was schooled in Japan and was one of the first to introduce the breed of cattle that eventually was bred with local beef stock, angus or whatever, to produce one of the products known as American Wagyu. They do sell the same brisket shipped but at closer to $10/#. Here's their website if interested...

So now I'm beginning to wonder, did I stumble onto the find of the century? Well a couple of thoughts. If you do look at the photo above of the packer I bought, it is only rough timmed. There is a huge piece of deckle fat and the fat cap will probably need a lot of trimming as well. Bottom line I expect to easily lose up to 3# as a result of the trim. Their packers look fully trimmed according to their website picture (which could be misleading), thus a $2-3.00 bump in price.

The other thing that I do know about HEB is they are tough buyers. Texans are also demanding better quality beef and they have really upped their game, I began noticing it about a year or so ago. Their premium brands of beef, particularly in the steak cuts, have really taken off. It wasn't long before brisket and other large cuts followed. Thus I think HEB and Mishima may have struck a deal. Is this their top quality meat? Doesn't appear that way but it may be a trend as breeders are trying to attract more and more customers to the American Wagyu brand.

Here's a discussion on the same subject on the Big Green Egg site of all places. If this brisket turns out to be as good as I think it may be, I'm heading back and buying more. I'm thinking of cooking this one over the weekend to see while I further dry age the Grass Fed one. Stay tuned !!!

Tried and true suggestions? We bought one from farmhouse delivery in Austin last year for Memorial Day and they no longer offer it.

Comment

Nice, but age this...

https://www.crowdcow.com/japanese-wa...-wagyu-brisket Click image for larger version

Name:	https---crowdcow-uploads.imgix.net-picture-production-i9y89iix8-Half_Packer_Brisket_1__1_.jpg?w=600&h=400&fit=crop&crop=entropy.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	706435

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Because mine cost 1/10 of that one, that’s why.

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah, come on Troutman, go for it...

(for those not clicking through... that product is $690)

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Take up a collection and I will !!!!

Mishima is awesome! I have use their grind for burgers. I have used their Zabuton and the same for a grind.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's good to hear. I'm smoking that brisket this weekend. Got my fingers crossed. I may be scouring the city for all those bad boys.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here