Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Time Looker, First Time Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Time Looker, First Time Cooker

Hi my name is Steve.

I’ve been BBQing for almost 10 years.

I have have a confession.

I’ve never attempted to cook a Brisket.

I’m going to address my problem and just do it!

😁

I have a question and would like a bit of advice if somebody can give it.

I’ll be buying the full packer brisket at Walmart and it will be a Select Brisket. That’s all they carry and I have no other reasonable priced options.

I would like to wet age it to help with the tenderness. I’ve read about wet aging and just making sure I’m not missing anything. It is as simple as buying the brisket in the cryo vac bag and letting it sit in your refrigerator for 30 to 45 days from the pack date.

Now for the advice question. I have the following 3 cookers:
    Weber Kettle with a SnS
    24” Smoke Vault
    PBC

Which one would you cook it on.

Here is is what I’m thinking

Weber Kettle
    Best Smoke Flavor
    Best Bark

Smoke Vault
    Plenty of Space
    Set it and Forget it

PBC
    Fastest Cook
    Just Let it Roll

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Smoke Vault but I know both the PBC and the Weber will get it done.

If your cut is Select I strongly recommend both dry-brining and wrapping once the bark is set, around the 180 mark internal and butcher's paper is preferable to foil.

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      What cooker is your go to for a whole brisket. The Weber or the PBC?

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      It's been a while since I've done brisket. I've done it on the kettle and WSM. I have yet to try it in the PBC but I've been told that the PBC excels at brisket. I have a 13 pound prime packer in the chest freezer. I'm waffling between the PBC and the offset. I will tell you the kettle turns out perfectly good brisket.

Hunt around in the case at Walmart. Some times there may be a choice or two mixed in with the selects.

Comment

Yes on the wet curing. Just put it preferably in a garage or other fridge you don't go into very often.

Comment

Hello Steve.

I use my PBC for brisket and it works great. I hang and let it go through the stall. When the bark looks good I pull and put in foil pan with liquid of choice and finish in oven. Charcoal is usually about done by this point.
        Be sure to check that the brisket isn't so long as it will touch the coals. I use another hook to lift it up and out of the way. Good luck! Have fun!!!

Comment

I’ve done a few select grade briskets on my Kettles and SnS and 1 on my SnsK. Awesome bark and smoke flavor. I cook at 250, wrap with good bark around 180 IT, take the thickest part of the flat to 203 and give it a long 3 or 4 hour faux cambro hold. For select grade, I stop at 203 in the thickest part of the flat, whether probe tender or not.

Here's my last select on the SnSK.

Before wrapping.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9117.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	689440

Finished
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9134.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	689439

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Cain't hardly argue with results like that there...
            Beautimous brisky, Brother!

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Mr. Bones It were good, very good for a select.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I just bit my screen....nice job

Wet age that baby a good 60 days. Just make sure, make sure sure sure, you know the date it was actually packed. Sometimes what may be printed on the label isn't accurate. If it's possible to talk to someone in the meat department they may know more. If not then that's all you have to go on I suppose.

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m sure the people in the meat department of my Walmart will be able to tell me when it was packed. Last week when I asked them if they had any more briskets they had no idea what I was talking about. Then I said beef briskets and they still looked confused. Then I showed them where they normally sit and the worker said "You mean that heavy piece of meat?" 😂. Hopefully it’s marked somewhere on the package.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            ssandy_561 Funny you say that. My original typing of the above words included "if Walmart employees would have any clue" but I deleted that to not offend anyone. I get it though, most supermarket employees are just employees assigned to a dept. Open box, put on shelf, repeat.

Really look them over in the meat case. Try to find one that's kind of "wobbly", with a thicker end of the flat, and minimize the fat cap as much as possible. My wife brought a 16 pounder home from WallyWorld once and I trimmed 7 lbs of fat off of it. I go 45-60 days of wet aging. Since it's a Select you will want to wrap, as well as inject if you can. I don't have a PBC, but if I did I would run with that for a 1st brisket cook. Really go over Meathead's recipe and Aaron Franklin's videos as they are REALLY helpful. Be sure to take us along for the ride, too!

Comment

• Rfhd69
            Rfhd69 commented
            Editing a comment
            I second getting one with a thicker flat. I also try to find whole packers that bend easily. Have never wet aged but am looking forward to it!

Brisket was the 3rd thing I cooked on my kettle. YOLO!

Comment

you wont get near the bark on the smoke vault that you will on the kettle in my experience. having owned both and cooked brisket on both...the kettle is worth the extra hassle

smoke vault is fantastic for when you want that set it and forget it option but i like the full day bbq experience, lol.

Comment

I’ve done brisket on kettles, pk360 and the PBC. I know lots of people have had success running hotter, but I keep it under 250. I usually use thermostatic controllers because I’m lazy.

I would think select will be drier so I’d foil wrap as soon as you get the bark you like.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Most of my select flats are somewhat dry (as expected) and get shredded like pulled chuck roasts, add back some of the juice captured in the foil and a little butter and I get fantastic pulled beef.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here