Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomahawks AGAIN... maybe there’s something to this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomahawks AGAIN... maybe there’s something to this.

Hi folks! Jumped on the site here for the first time in way too long, and noticed something others have commented on recently - lots and lots of posts about Tomahawk steaks lately.

This is was of particular interest to me, since I got on the site to pass the time while cooking - you guessed it - Tomahawks for the first time ever. LOL

I saw a lot of comments that this style of ribeye is just for show and presentation, but I gotta tell ya... tonight’s Tomahawks might have been the best steaks I’ve played in a 20+ year backyard career at the grill.

Picked these up at Costco, USDA prime, and probably every bit of 3” thick. I went seriously overboard cooking two for just my girlfriend and I... the logic being since it was my first shot at them, if I muffed one, maybe the other would be salvageable. Not to mention the barbercuers creed - GO BIG OR GO HOME, am I right? :-)

The cook did NOT go perfectly. First, I learned a valuable lesson about thick cut ribeyes. I used the indirect cook, sear-in-the-rear method. I’ve only done sirloins this thick using this method before, and I learned there is a significant difference in fluid output between the two cuts. (More on this shortly, and the read is worth the belly laugh lol.)

Used the Thermopro Smoke to monitor the temp, and when it showed 120 degrees I figured it was time to sear. The pic below is right before I moved them over the coals.

Some of you more experienced folks know where this is going...

That fluid output I mentioned? Rendered fat... which is grease... when I slid the grates over the coals for direct heat to sear, even more juice started raining out immediately.

Onto the hot coals.

Which ignited that "fluid" UNDER the coals. :-O

Thats right folks, had me a nice little GREASE FIRE in my grill, from one end to the other!!! LMAOOOO!!!! I’m going to have some SERIOUS cleanup to do before I fire up the grill again. :-)

I got two direct heat flips in before I pulled the steaks off. Hit them with the Thermapen... smidge over 140 degrees. Shot right past the medium rare I was going for. SO, I didn’t get the sear I wanted and plated medium steaks instead of medium rare.

When we dug in, I was blown away since I was expecting a middle of the road, passable-for-a-first-attempt result. They had perfect texture, were super tender and flavorful, and extremely juicy for being medium instead of medium rare.

Sometimes the barbecue gods smile on us.

Said ALLLLLLL that to say this... I’ve heard a lot about the "fad" and "just for presentation" aspects of Tomahawks, but my experience tonight tonight has me thinking maybe juuuuuust maybe there’s more to them than a cool look.

Just gotta remember the drip pan next time. Besides the grease fire, when I think of the gravy I probably burned up I kinda wanna cry. :-)
    Attached Files

Video of the volcano fire or it didn't happen. hehehe

I loved my Tomahawk.

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I probably SHOULD have popped a nice selfie of the event. LOL. Not enough millennial in me I suppose. :-)

Besides, I was honestly too busy crapping myself to think camera! LMAO!!!

I hear you. I usually only take a photo with the fire crew after they have extinguished my latest conflagration.🙂 A well prepared piece of meat is a thing to appreciate and if you can add style to it like a Tomahawk presentation for the visual enjoyment of your guests then so much the better.

Comment

Fine lookin job!
      Now that ya mentioned it, dang, that woulda been some dang dang good gravy, Amigo!

Comment

It's a successful cook if da food turns out great. Great lookin' steaks.

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement folks, can’t wait to give this a go again... drip pan at the ready of course! LOL

Comment

A tomahawk is nothing more than a bone in ribeye with the extra length of bone (the handle) frenched and left in place. If the meat on the steak end is wonderful, thank the meat. The handle has nothing to do with it. The meat that is integral to the actual ribeye itself is great to gnaw on. The handle, is just bone. Meathead has a great article about this.
            Last edited by Bkhuna; June 7, 2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

My Tomahawks come out cooked just fine.....
              but I cannot seem to get any flavor into the middle of the Steak ??
              suggestions for a newbie ??

Comment

• JoeSousa
                JoeSousa commented
                Editing a comment
                Dry brine them for a day or two before cooking. Give them a fairly generous sprinkle of salt and let them sit uncovered on a rack in the fridge for a day or two. The salt will make its way to the middle of the meat and also help retain moisture.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here