Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ever packer brisket - maybe say a prayer for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of many! #GetToEatYourPracticeRounds

Comment

Here's the 'before' pictures:

The pictures don't really show the size of this thing. It was 17lbs in the package! Injected with Meat Church Holy Cow brisket injection, and coated with Holy Cow rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Packer.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	688369

Name:	Ready.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	688370

Comment

So how was it? If you are still cooking, be sure to probe the thickest part of the flat, and not the point. You don’t care so much about point temp, and don’t want to probe the deckle (fat layer) between the two either.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
          So how was it? If you are still cooking, be sure to probe the thickest part of the flat, and not the point. You don’t care so much about point temp, and don’t want to probe the deckle (fat layer) between the two either.
          It’s still cooking. It should be out between 12:00 and 1:00. Then it’s into the faux cambreaux till supper.

Thanks for the probing tips!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! Keep it going! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the maiden voyage.

You're gonna love it! Don't forget pics if you have the time.

Comment

Looks like you separated the point and the flat. If that’s the case, you definitely want to probe both the point and the flat and pull each separately when they are probe tender.

Comment

Update:

BUTTER. That’s all I need to say! The flat looked amazing and is now double tinfoil wrapped and towel wrapped in the cooler until supper.

i decided to follow my PitMaster Class instructors method and use the point for burnt ends. It was fairly small compared to the HUGE flat.

So I pulled it when it probed like butter, put some more rub on it, and it’s back in for two hours. At 3:00, I’ll cut it into bite sized pieces, coat with BBQ sauce, and put it back in until supper. Burnt ends are a big hit around here. I’m anxious to try this method.

More pictures this evening after supper!

Comment

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Good luck!

Originally posted by Mudkat View Post
              You're gonna love it! Don't forget pics if you have the time.
              Later this evening, I’ll post the results pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
                Looks like you separated the point and the flat. If that’s the case, you definitely want to probe both the point and the flat and pull each separately when they are probe tender.
                I really had no choice. There was no way that was fitting in the MES in one piece!

Comment

Well, dinner went great. Everyone loved everything. I think the flat may have been a tiny bit over, because I couldn't get a good slice until I got closer to the center - or maybe that's normal? Anyway, the evidence is below.

Here's the point:

Name:	Point.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	688619

And the burnt ends made from some of it:

Name:	Burnt.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	688616

The flat:

Name:	Flat1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	688617

And the flat sliced:

Name:	Flat2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	688618

Comment

• gdsim1
                    gdsim1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Look

at

that

freaking

bark!!!! :-d

• RickyBobby
                    RickyBobby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    B-E-A-UUUUUTIFUL result!!!! Well played sir, well played!

This thread has been such an enjoyable read - thank you for sharing it with us, can’t wait to see pics of the finished product and hear about your success and lessons learned.

I remember the the first time I did a full packer... had the exact same reaction you did! "What the hell?!? It didn’t look anything like this in the YouTube videos!" LOL

it sounds like you’re on the right path. I was really glad to hear you mention the faux cambro, that’s key for me. I picked up that trick on Pit Barrel Cookers website, and it’s paid amazing dividends. Taught me to wrap it in a towel (still inside the foil or butcher paper of course) before putting it in the cooler.

Part of the cambro tip on the PBC website, I thought was blasphemy. They suggested leaving it to rest in there for "at LEAST an hour, two or three or maybe even four if you’ve got time." I’d never heard of resting meat for more than an hour. A couple briskets later I finished up crazy early and decided to give it a shot... turned out to be the best brisket I ever plated. Definitely a case of the longer it SITS, the better it GETS! :-)

Keep the pics and updates coming... I never get tired of hearing about a bbq brother or sister getting a win!

Comment

Beautiful! Trimming brisket is an art that improves with practice. We’ve all under/over-trimmed before. You learn to read the meat and trim it just right.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here