Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib

I was thinking of getting some prime rib to cook for Father's Day. I've never made one. How big of one would I need for like 8-10 people? Is there a decent place online to buy one or would I be better off trying to find one local. I'm not sure if that's something I could go to the grocery store for or if I'd have to find a local butcher. Thanks.

1 bone feeds 2 normal ppl, or 1 hungry Texan. You would need a 4-5 bone roast. I get mine from Brookshires or Fresh by Brookshires usually.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I don't want to scare the poor guy off...

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - sounds like a starvation diet to me.

• THE Humble Texan
      THE Humble Texan commented
      Editing a comment
      2 bones is why I just had to loose 55 pounds and working on another 50.

Costco if you have one nearby.

Comment

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for Costco. My local usually sticks bone-in and boneless prime rib roasts during big holidays - Thanksgiving, Xmas, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, etc.

Including the weight of the bone, I would go with 3/4 to 1 pound meat per person depending on the appetite of your group.

Comment

I say you should find a local butcher regardless.

Comment

Try Costco. They carry prime rib roasts. We have smoked them for Christmas dinner the last three years. Excellent. A 5 bone roast served 8 people with some leftovers (we served a lot of sides).

Comment

Where do you live? That will help in choosing weather you can buy online or should find a local butcher.
          If you’re planning on feeding 10 people, I would get a 5-6 rib piece. If it’s too much, well leftovers are always a great thing when it comes to prime rib.

Comment

• daveIT
            daveIT commented
            Editing a comment
            Pennsylvania

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            https://www.lafrieda.com/ He is one of the premier meat purveyors in the country. Especially in the north east.

Follow Meatheads recipe - and definitely make Mrs O’Leary’s Cow Crust rub!!!

There are some tricks to learning how to cook a perfect prime rib, tenderloin, round, rump, and other beef roasts and we have assembled them all in one place! Discover our secrets for ensuring it is cooked right from end to end and with a deeply flavored crust in this ultimate prime rib recipe.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
            Oakgrovebacon commented
            Editing a comment
            This is perfect advice!

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            agree!

Standing rib roasts can be found at almost every supermarket/meat retailer.
          Last edited by Bkhuna; May 31, 2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            but he is asking for a prime rib.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            I wasn't sure if he meant a Prime grade rib roast or the Primal rib roast which is what many people call a standing rib.

I had good luck finding a Prime rib roast at Sam's. I'm thinking it was boneless, maybe $35 for a 3 to 4 pounder. Not sure if that is a good deal or not lol. I'd lean toward 1 lb/person of boneless to be safe. Maybe less depending on the rest of the spread.

Comment

Try The Fresh Market if there's one near you. I don't recollect their price for Prime, but its very good. Estimate the amount needed liberally, leftovers make great open faced sandwiches.

Comment

I use local butcher for my testing prime rib cook but when it comes to doing something real nice like top steak house quality. I use Snake River Farms online, here you can buy prime beef. As far as Prime Rib goes you can buy it either bone in or not. The packaging is very well done, I have never had anything ever arrive in bad shape still solidly frozen. The quality of the meat has been exceptional but I have never used anyone else to compare it too. Now if you are buying Prime grade then you are not actually buying form SRF but their partner Double R Ranch located NW Washington State. Snake River just does Wagyu beef several different grades of it. If you are buying Prime grade Prime Rib no bone it will weigh about 6lbs and cost about $160.00.

My SRF Prime Rib is setting in the frezzer, bought a choice grade prime rib 4.8 lbs today, and will do my first test cook this weekend. Equipment I will be using is a Napoleon Pro Rodeo Charcoal grill ( Kettle), Fireboard temp, and slow & sear 2.0. So I have all the equipment, now can the cook produce a decent prime rib?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm bettin ya can pull this off, Brother!
                Might wanna stop over here, introduce yerself, when time permits...Welcome, til then, an best of luck on yer cook!

• gent48dd
                gent48dd commented
                Editing a comment
                Well there were problems mostly learning how to take advantage of my new equipment and that comes from not understanding how my grill works. The Prime Rib came out fine. That was mostly do to my new Fireboard letting me know exactly where my temp was. The beef while done to a nice med rare was disappointing flavor wise. My Napoleon kettle holds heat way better than I though it would. heat got out of control and that took some fixing.

H-E-B puts the USDA prime ones on sale every so often. 9.99$/lb for a prime standing rib roast...

I cut one into steaks but the prime rib i prepare as follows... remove the bone and trim fat per Meathead...keep that fat!
              MORE on the bones later if you pm me.

I sous vide the entire prime rib (less the bones) in a double sealed bag to rare. Then coat per Meathead recipe and just broil in the oven as hot as it will go or do it over coals pretty close to the grates as hot s I can get them. Just to sear and no more cooking.

It is about the best thing ever.

Comment

Killer first post. Thanks for the info! Good luck on your cook...looks like you are set equipment wise! I’m still trying to decide if I’m doing one for Father’s Day or not.

Comment

Solid advice already. Can’t wait to see this cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here