Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find thin steak method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find thin steak method

Can someone link me to Meathead's article on cooking thin steaks. Having no success searching for it. Seems to me it was called the 'turntable' method?

Will be cooking some cheap, thin sirloin tips. My thoughts are to sear following above method then slice on a board sauce.

Suggestions welcomed.

I think you may be thinking of David Parrish 's method of the Cold Grate Technique for searing steaks, @Hugh?

Meathead's method is just to direct sear a thin steak to desired doneness as opposed to using the reverse sear, which he says is for thicker steaks. You can find all of that Hot 'n Fast vs Reverse Sear for steaks info in this article over on the free side.

HTH,
    Kathryn

Comment

• Hugh
      Hugh commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathryn. I could of sworn I saw an article by Meathead once about searing side 'A' and he used the analogy of a record. But I'm getting old....

Meathead also uses the "afterburner" method—put a small grate over the top of a charcoal chimney with hot coals and grill hot and fast. Otherwise, grill thin steaks on a grill over direct high heat, searing directly.

Comment

This article? (Look at the left sidebar) https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-steaks-recipe

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan Context matters. If I tell you I went up for "our" anniversary it could imply to you, and others, that it was you & I's anniversary. Wife & I's works. Better'n "me & wife's".

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        There is always "me and her"! 🕶

Also, it depends on what our is or is, is. 🧐

• Hugh
        Hugh commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats the article I was thinking of Huskee, thanks much.

The thin steak method is hot fast and try not to overcook it.

Comment

Hot and fast...and by fast I mean don’t over cook it!

Comment

I'm not familiar with Meathead's method but I buy 8-10 oz. steaks from Lobel's so I really don't want them screwed up. My method is to turn my Grill Grates over so the smooth side is up and heat to about 500. I brush the steak with oil then put it down for 2 minutes a side for rare and 3 minutes a side for Medium. Your grill will vary of course. I don't get a char but I get a deep brown crust and enough smoke to know it was grilled. I tried several methods using the stock grill racks and if it was charred well it was cooked way too much. Get some cheap ones cut and give it a try.

Comment

I think I posted my previous post in a wrong thread, I'll ask again in a more proper place here.

I've been doing the thin steaks afterburner method with a chimney and grate, and that works pretty well on the lean steaks.

How do you keep the fat from burning before the meat is ready on steaks like the ribeye and the NY strip?

Comment

Have ya tried a CI skillet with a half of a stick of butter. Flip once or thrice & baste, baste, baste.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Add some fresh rosemary to that and one garlic clove

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman yes, excellent!

I agree with FireMan ribeye and NY strip would do much better in a screaming hot cast iron skillet than on a grill or after burner style. They are heavily marbled. If you are cooking a steak less than 3/4 inch thick I would use the skillet method.

Comment

My suggestion is to use a thicker piece of meat. So much easier to control with a much more predictable result. Even the Meathead article above suggests an 1 1/2” cut.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree I don't cook anything less the 1 1/2"

Thank you all for your suggestions. I can't use a skillet right now due to kitchen renovation, so the grill is my only way to cook.

I kinda sorta maybe resolved the issue--I flip the steaks often. That reduces fat burning, but does not eliminate it.

Steak thickness--I'm limited to what's in the commissary, and I eat so much steak (gym requirement) that price is an issue. Asking for a thicker cut increases the price to an untolerable level for me, so that's out.

What are your favorite cuts you choose specificaly for the afterburner method?

Comment

sashav133 if you have a cast iron skillet, you can use it on the grill. Might be worth a shot. Sounds like you have things worked out though.

The only steaks I cook these days tend to be NY strips. I’ve done sirloins but cut into strips for stir fry.

Comment

• sashav133
                    sashav133 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    grantgallagher good ventilation and smoke alarm position well away from the kitchen are your friends.
                    Also, check this out: https://www.protectamerica.com/home-...ng-guide_20506

• sashav133
                    sashav133 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jfmorris I was asking if you put the skillet on the grate above the coals, on the coals directly, the chimney with coals on it, or if you do something else.
                    Also, how long does it take to bring it to cooking temp?

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    sashav133 I would put the skillet above the coals, depending on temperature, etc. You want 350+ for searing - the hotter the better probably. I more often put my skillet on the gas grill, with all the burners on, well at least the ones under the skillet. On the kettle I've put it over my Slow 'N Sear and then slid over to the indirect side if I wanted to reduce the heat. I also use the Drip 'N Griddle in this manner, as well as my Lodge 12" skillet.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here