Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Got Me Nervous - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Got Me Nervous - HELP

Good Morning Folks, and happy Memorial Day.

On Saturday i will be serving brisket and pulled pork for my daughters birthday. I am slicing and serving @ 2pm. Usually i wouldn't worry, i don't cook to schedule as its done when its done. But my wife showed up with a 20lb prime packer when i sent her for a 12-15 lol. Bless her.

I usually cook 10-15lb briskets and they have come out very good, this will be my 4th brisket ever.

So i need help guys, when should i put it on? I will be cooking on my UDS, im aiming for 250-275, shouldn't be a problem as i will put my guru on it so im not afraid of an overnight. Just the timing has me nervous.

I will be trimming it up and rubbing it on Thursday evening and anticipate putting it on Friday at some point, based on suggestions and recommendations.

How long of a hold do you want? If you ha e a good cambro/cooler type holder, I’d probably get that on at 2pm. I’m not familiar with you cooker, but temp is temp

That is me, I’d wrap and hold it for at least 2 hours in my cooler before I sliced, so just build that in to your total time. I made a few 18 and 19lb primes a few weeks back and had them on at 6pm, cooked at 250* and had them hold for a few hours before I chopped and then kept in my oven wrapped in serving platters at 170* for as I took them out to feed the 80+ people at 4pm.

Enjoy the cook!

Comment

Originally posted by barelfly View Post
      How long of a hold do you want? If you ha e a good cambro/cooler type holder, I’d probably get that on at 2pm. I’m not familiar with you cooker, but temp is temp

That is me, I’d wrap and hold it for at least 2 hours in my cooler before I sliced, so just build that in to your total time. I made a few 18 and 19lb primes a few weeks back and had them on at 6pm, cooked at 250* and had them hold for a few hours before I chopped and then kept in my oven wrapped in serving platters at 170* for as I took them out to feed the 80+ people at 4pm.

Enjoy the cook!
      Thanks for the Input,

I dont have a cooler at the moment, i hope to have this before friday though

I was wondering if 6pm at Friday would do, i dont mind holding, i can do the oven at 170 if that doesnt cause drying out. let me know

Comment

That looks nice, the cooler. But any cooler will work. I have a smaller hard sided cooler that I use. Not sure where I got it, we had it forever and it became my holding cooler. I usually double wrap with foil and then wrap a towel around the food and into the cooler for the hold. When I used the oven, it was only to keep food ready to be served in the aluminum pans, I wrapped with plastic wrap and foil to lock in moisture. It was perfect, for the 50lbs of brisket and pork butt I smoked. You can always get the oven up to the lowest temp and then turn it off and hold food that ay if you are worried about drying out. But it shouldn’t if it’s a short hold.

6pm may work, but may be cutting it close. I Usually figure 1-1.5 hours per pound, so just keep that in mind. Plus a hold. Prime grade does usually cook a little quicker, in my experience. So that helps.

Others will chime in on timing, so you have some time to come up with a good game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by barelfly View Post
          That looks nice, the cooler. But any cooler will work. I have a smaller hard sided cooler that I use. Not sure where I got it, we had it forever and it became my holding cooler. I usually double wrap with foil and then wrap a towel around the food and into the cooler for the hold. When I used the oven, it was only to keep food ready to be served in the aluminum pans, I wrapped with plastic wrap and foil to lock in moisture. It was perfect, for the 50lbs of brisket and pork butt I smoked. You can always get the oven up to the lowest temp and then turn it off and hold food that ay if you are worried about drying out. But it shouldn’t if it’s a short hold.

6pm may work, but may be cutting it close. I Usually figure 1-1.5 hours per pound, so just keep that in mind. Plus a hold. Prime grade does usually cook a little quicker, in my experience. So that helps.

Others will chime in on timing, so you have some time to come up with a good game plan.
          Thanks man for all the input. i really appreciate it. I decided to go with that cooler because i can get pans inside and when not in use can be collapsed..

Comment

If you don’t calculate wrapping into your timing you’ll be fine. On a couple of occasions I left the wrap in my back pocket as a last resort in order to speed up the cook to get it done on time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here