Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's all the fuss about the Tomahawk Chop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well here we go again with me disagreeing with the majority.
    Tomahawk about 3 inches thick on a blazing hot Big Green Egg is THE best steaks I have ever eaten.
    At the risk of blasphemy I will disagree with MH and say the bone becomes MINE!! As I consider it the best meat on the cut. I eat it like a caveman.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      The bone is Frenched and doesn't have meat on it.

Now the bone from a bone-in rib roast, which is what a three inch thick rib steak is, are indeed wonderful.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      the frenched part is the "handle"!

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Bkhuna yes the bone is Frenched in part. BUT--the part where the steak is attached is the reason I love a Tomahawk.

Because there is usually a giant arse ribeye attached to it. And no one usually sells you a "Select" Tomahawk.

besides the bone adds flavor and seals in the juices when you marinate it and use the touch test to check for temp.

Comment

While at our local grocery, the butcher's counter had beautiful looking Tomahawks for $12.99/lb. That's not a bad price considering crappy, near expired strips were going for the same price/# at the local Walmart. As I was contemplating my purchase, the head butcher said "I'll knock $2/# off right now"..... Well, I couldn't resist. I salted it Monday morning to let it dry brine, then about noon took it out to get it to room temp. Smoked it on my GMG for about an hour at 250 degrees, then laid it on my hot gasser at about 600 degrees for about 2-3 minutes on each side to sear in all that flavor. I put about a tbsp of garlic butter on it and tented it for 15 minutes on the kitchen counter. That thing came out so damn perfect, I can't believe I hadn't tried one before!!
      I honestly don't know if the bone does anything more than a psychological effect, but it was something for the dog to gnaw on that evening and she sure appreciated it!!

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        you gave it to the DOG?!

IMHO nothing beats gnawing on a bone after a good chop. I even have my wife gnawing. Pork chop, T-Bone, Strip all yum.

Comment

2" thick tomahawks - 30-40 min hanging on the pit barrel to 110 - seared over charcoal. These were the best steaks I've ever eaten. Don't know if the bone had anything to do with it.

Comment

They are fun to cook. And you always get a really thick steak along with the handle. The bone really does nothing for flavor, (more on that here) but it looks cool and it makes it easy to flip the beast when you are searing it!

Comment

• Willard
            Willard commented
            Editing a comment
            Common sense point of view as always.

Tomohawk steak aka " hipster steak". All the connective tissue,fat/meat they cut off the bone to make it look cool is the best part.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it’s really the anti-hipster steak. A real hipster is grilling jackfruit and calling it steak.

bardsleyque I only gave the bone part to the dog, after my wife and I thoroughly polished off the ribeye that came off of it!

I concur with the consensus that it's largely a "fad", but damn it was good!

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            besides the bone adds flavor and seals in the juices when you marinate it and use the touch test to check for temp.
            This guy gets it.

Comment

More likes on Instagram. Haha!

Comment

"What's all the fuss about the Tomahawk Chop?"

This:
                Attached Files

Comment

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You don't need a length of bare rib to enjoy a thick cut, bone in ribeye. That's my point.

• Slice169
                  Slice169 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bkhuna I agree, the bone is unnecessary, but at my butcher's counter, they didn't have Ribeyes that that thick with such wonderful marbling without the bone!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here