Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best resting method...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best resting method...

I'm going to wrap in butcher paper, but I'm reading lots of different advice on resting.
    leading method here seems faux cambro, but I just lent my neighbor my bigger cooler and I don't want to but another.
    Aaron Franklin seems to be a fan of leaving it in the counter until it gets to 145, seems like that could work, unless I need to hold for more than an hour or two.
    I have a second oven that I can run at 170 (or lower) in proof mood, would that work?
    Thoughts on best method?

Oven pan, cover in tin foil and leave in oven on real low or preheat oven then turn it off.

Comment

I’ve held brisket and pork shoulder in a 170° oven overnight. If doing a shorter (couple hours) hold I just use butcher paper. If longer I tightly wrap in foil after the butcher paper. Remember to put a pan under the meat if holding in the oven...no matter how tight you wrap it’ll still drip a little and you don’t want that burning on the bottom of your oven...it’ll be the last time the wife lets you bring barbecue in the house!

Comment

Personally I rest on a couch, easy chair, bed, lawn chair, and sometimes on the bare ground while camping. Those same spots are also prime nap locations!

Faux cambro for resting meat. I'm not to sure where meat naps.

Comment

Warming drawer in oven wrapped in foil

Comment

If you've wrapped in foil just lay a couple of old towels on the kitchen counter set your meat on them then cover with a couple more. I like to have at least an inch of towel top, bottom, and sides. The temp will come down nice and slow.

Comment

"Best" depends on the brisket and the current circumstances. I'll hold briskets on the same cook different. Brisket reminds me of kidney stones- always learning cause they can all be different than the last.

Comment

Faux, oven at 170, warming drawer, electric turkey roaster. Used them all and they all work. Franklin has large commercial warming ovens where he holds his briskets before serving.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here