Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would baking soda help create better (more) brisket bark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would baking soda help create better (more) brisket bark?

I’ve been reading about using it to brown ground beef, etc. And Chef Steps recommends using it for improved browning.

Would adding a wash of reducing sugar and baking soda before applying the Dalmatian rub create better (ie, more) bark?

I only do do one or two briskets a season. But I wouldn’t mind knowing the answer to this one.

Out on a limb here but I think I'd go with Bisto over baking soda If I were to try this.
    At least Bisto is for beef, baking soda being more generic for lack of a better word.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      But Bisto only contains potato flour, salt, caramel coloring and herb flavors according to this article https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...o-1322895.html. No baking soda.

Kathryn

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for clearing that up Kathryn, limb just got sawed off!!!!
      For some reason I'm thinking along corn starch lines not baking soda....yeesh

A bit of sugar helps bark formation as the seasoning crystallize. Read Meathead’s article on bark formation on the free side (I’m on my phone or I’d go find it). I’ve used baking soda to help dry chicken which promotes brown crispy skin. I don’t see the advantage to the underlying polymerization of beef brisket pellicle. Keep it tried and true, don’t reinvent the wheel.

Comment

I've tried both baking soda and baking powder (which contains baking soda) on chicken to crisp the skin while smoking. To my family's tastes, the flavor of baking soda is offensive. They can't, however, detect the baking powder. So that says if you use baking soda, use a light hand, I'd guess. Me, I'm sticking with a bit of baking powder mixed in with rub for chicken skin only.

Haven't tried the reduced sugar/baking soda/water mixture recommended by Chef Steps

Cooks Illustrated uses a salt/baking soda/water mixture for browning ground beef. They say it helps the beef retain moisture and brown more quickly.

Kathryn

Comment

• Foehn Watts
        Foehn Watts commented
        Editing a comment
        I've tried baking soda as well. I think the instructions I have seen tend to recommend too much. When I used it on a whole chicken, I used just a pinch or two and made sure to rub it all over quite well. Worked for me and the minuscule amount was undetectable to everyone who at it, including me.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, Foehn Watts , I use baking soda mixed with rub on chicken skin 1/4 tsp to 2 Tbl rub. I've gone as high as 1tsp baking soda per Tbl rub and not had any adverse taste, but I prefer using less.

Kathryn

• Foehn Watts
        Foehn Watts commented
        Editing a comment
        Baking soda is a really obnoxious flavor. Some of the Irish soda breads call for A LOT and it is not a happy thing to me. I laughed when one article mentioned the "minerally" flavor that some "good" soda breads have. . .from too much baking soda, or too much to me!.
        Also, I have used very small amounts in burger I have browned for red sauce for spaghetti sauce, and it does speed up the browning.

I have tried a baking soda/dextrose mix as a dusting before browning, but the baking soda leaves a gritty texture and I can taste it. I find that dextrose alone works just as well. Dextrose is also known as corn sugar and you can buy it cheaply at your local home brew supply shop. I put it in a shaker that has a screen top and dust the meat before browning with a torch.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
        Foehn Watts commented
        Editing a comment
        No, kidding, it WOULD be gritty! Baking soda needs to be dissolved and used in very small amounts. You might want to experiment on one end of something (Mark It!), Use just a dab and rub it in well before applying anything else; it needs to dissolve. My dab in my spaghetti sauce gets dissolved in the meat juices, and then it gets neutralized with the acidic tomato stuff. I does add sodium though. If enough is used, it can make acidic things *much* less acid. Just a thought.

I use white sugar and brown sugar, and a host of other crap, and try to smoke all the way without wrapping. Bark every time.

Comment

Dalmatian rub + blue smoke from a nicely burning oak fire = beautiful brisket bark. No other additives required!

Comment

Oak Smoke Red Paper Wrap seems to work here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here