Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piecing out a brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piecing out a brisket

I looked through other posts but didn't see an answer for my question. My local Fareway has briskets on sale for $2.99 lb. I purchased one and was debating on getting a couple more. My question is; has anyone ever cut one up into smaller pieces. A lot of the time we cook for just 2 and don't need a 10 lb piece of meat. We do sous vide occasionally and thought with smaller chunks we could do that and then have enough for 2 without a ton of leftovers. Anyone done anything like that rather than just separating the flat from the point? TIA

Nothing wrong with it IMHO.
    We've cut them in half for smaller meals.
    The local market we frequent sells the fat caps cut in to chunks for sale which is kinda handy sometimes.

Comment

I do it all of the time for the same reason. Separate the point, cut the flat into 2 or 3 sensible chunks, dry brine, vac-seal, then freeze.

Comment

Like you there are only the two of us most of the time. We cook the whole brisket first. When it comes out of the Cambro I cut it into meal size servings, vac seal and freeze. When we want brisket I thaw a package, slice, and warm in the microwave. For us it's just handier to have it standing by already cooked. The other reason is I'm more comfortable doing a whole brisket.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too.

My household is just my hubby and me and 4 dogs who love their table scraps. I don't have experience with brisket, but I cook other larger cuts of meat. I've learned I'd much rather cook a large cut once than cook several smaller pieces several times.

Like Oak Smoke, I portion the cooked meat into appropriate amounts for a meal or two, vac seal, and freeze. My DH and I are more likely to pull something that's ready to heat and eat like this. That's especially true on weeknights or busy weekends, when motivation to cook is often pretty low.

I've also decided to not get too far ahead of myself when buying large cuts of meat on sale. I keep a few grilling/smoking projects in the freezer, but only a few. It's like clothes -- a sale only saves you money if you actually use what you buy. There's also a psychological thing about that freshly frozen chuck of meat that lures me to cook it. If it stays in the freezer for a few months, I forget about it.

So I'd rather get one brisket or chuck roast on sale to freeze for cooking in the near future, rather than two. Once that large cut is cooked, then's the time for me to buy another. If I had a passel o' kids to feed, my priorities might be different, but it's just the two of us.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll do it like that as well, but being the retired, stay-at-home house-husband I look for any opportunity to fire up a cooker.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here