Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to cook a brisket perfectly and get a dud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to cook a brisket perfectly and get a dud?

I have made 4 amazing briskets in a row this month. All my friends and family rave about how delicious my brisket are and I feel proud when I hear it.

I cooked the same prime brisket last night, the exact same way as before, 225 degrees for 12 hrs, with the same wood blend of hickory and mesquite, up to 202 degrees and let it rest for four hours in a cooler. I just tried the brisket that I will be serving tonight and it taste like crap. It has zero smoke flavor.

I don't really understand. It was raining all night last night but my pellet grill stayed the same temp and it seems like it made the meat moist which I assume the humidity would attract even more smoke than normal.

Does this ever happen to you professional guys? Do you ever cook a brisket perfectly and end up with something that seems like it belongs at a Golden Corral buffet?

I'm not sure where I went wrong with this brisket.

No smoke flavor doesn't make a lot of sense. Was it still tender and moist? Did it have good bark? IMHO those are more important factors than smoke flavor.

I only do 1 brisket per year (I do a lot of chuck roast, though), so I don't have enough of a sample size to adequately answer your question.

Comment

Silly question but did you look in your pellet bin? Does it seem like the right amount of pellets were used? Also how old are the pellets? You mentioned it was raining, were they damp?

Comment

I am not one of the pro's, but sometimes I think you just get a bad brisket. It is like the brisket Gods don't want you to get too confident.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          You just have offer up the occasional burnt offering to appease the brisket gods.

Did you taste it straight after smoking it all day? Take a shower and try it again. If you are saturated in Smoke it won't taste that good. Could be lots of things. Gut bag could of spilled open contaminating while processing it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          NapMaster LMAO!!!

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          You are spot on with the shower statement. Especially with salmon. I also need a good martini to cleanse my pallet.

• jecucolo
          jecucolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m with you on smoke saturation. I rarely sense the smoke flavor after the food is done. I depend on my guest response to smokiness.

Professional guys? Yea that's a laugh right there. We have a saying around here, no two briskets ever cook alike, sometimes you just have to bust out. Don't worry yourself over it, move on, smoke on and you'll be fine. sounds like you know what your doing. Stick to what you know, the brisket gods will shine on you again.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Shazam!! He speaketh!!

My most previous brisket was like that. It had killer bark, and was tender and juicy. And it had some smoke flavor, but very little compared to my usual brisket cooks. It was a beautiful prime-grade whole packer from Costco. I have no explanation.

Comment

• mach2speed
          mach2speed commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, done several briskets from Costco and one of them was a dud. I seem to recall it didn't have as much marbling. Hoping that was the problem (at least I tell myself that so I can move on)

Hey, don’t knock Golden Corral. There’s been some mighty fine fights at various ones around the country.🕶

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahahaha, I was looking for this comment. You never disappoint, Sir!

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto.

This happens. Some briskets are tougher than others. Not all pieces of meat are the same so results can differ. More than likely, that was the cause, not anything you did.

Like I said, it happens. Its a bummer, but the best thing you can do it get back on that brisket train! You got this man!

Comment

Answer to yer question is, Yup...

Reckon next one will be much mo bettah!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Calm Smoke On - Large - 1024x1448.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	683853
          P.S.: Next time, good, or even bad; pics are mandatory. Or it didn't happen.
          We let ya have this one freebie lol!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I didn’t see no perfectly lookin, blah tasting brisket!

When you’ve been at it all day....Ahumadora is right about the shower thing.

Sometimes that dog just won’t hunt no matter what you do.

Comment

• DiverDriver
            DiverDriver commented
            Editing a comment
            And a martini to cleanse the pallet after the shower.

Sometimes you can do everything right and end up with a bad brisket IMO. Less than perfect briskets, however, can easily be salvaged in a crock pot, sliced thin, with BBQ sauce until tender.

Comment

Shower yes. Pictures would help a lot also. I don’t own a pellet grill but did ya check it for clogs or dust. Lists of posts about cleaning them out. I would guess maybe the pellets didn’t like the moisture. I’ve been fortunate so far of not having a bad brisket. (Knock on wood). Will be cooking 2 of em tonight

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here