Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about cooking beef heart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about cooking beef heart?

I picked up a really nice looking beef heart steak from Porter Road. They recommend sous vide or serving rare since its pretty tough. Anyone sous vide this before and have any idea what temp/how long to shoot for?

The heart is one big, lean, hard-working muscle and a delicious one at that. We trim away the tough sections leaving behind a steak that can be cooked like any other lean cut. These steaks have rich mineral flavor, and dense texture. Note that this is one of the few beef cuts that is removed by our butcher before the d

I know that some coney sauce recipes call for beef heart in lieu of ground chuck.

Comment

Ahumadora - Car 54 Where Are You???

Comment

Wife went out last night with girl friends to a hoity-toity restaurant. I have made this a couple times and pretty much have it figured out. Simple and quick. First off cut to size. Trim any tough bits and fat as well as sinew. I grill (gasser) on very high temp 600 and scatter some wood chips (cherry) for a light wood fire taste. For a rub... garlic powder, onion powder, h salt, savory herbs, and pepper. While the grill heats I tossed on an al. packet of rosemary and red potatoes with a little rendered bacon fat. You have only 2 or 3 minutes per side... Want it super rare but well seared. I shared with my neighbor (retired chef) and he thought I nailed it. Sorry the photos are not up to some I have seen on here. Please critique as this is my first post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4775.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	750750

Name:	IMG_4776.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	750751

Name:	IMG_4777.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	750752

Name:	IMG_4778.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	750753

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          You got it !!!

Thanks for this. I still have mine in the freezer. Need to find some time to actually cook it.

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          As soon as wife told me her plans I pulled it out of freezer!

When I was a kid we used to eat heart fairly often. My mom would trim it up (not sure how well trimmed they are from PR but just trim off anything that doesn't look like something you want to eat), pound it flat with a meat tenderizer, dredge in flour, and fry. That was 35+ years ago so I don't remember too many particulars but I do remember there was never leftovers. We ate it all up. It was probably a bit tough but not inedible or anything like that.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          JoeSousa i found a recipe that basically recommended confit it in beef tallow and then give it a hot sear...

confit heart does sound interesting, i must admit.

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          grantgallagher Wow, confit heart in beef tallow is pretty hardcore. Does seem pretty badass to simmer an animals heart in its own fat.
          Last edited by JoeSousa; October 2, 2019, 02:58 PM.

As DiverDriver and JoeSousa mentioned I would do the same. Also good to have a balanced diet you can't just fry heart in beef lard. I would mix it up a bit and use bacon fat.......

Comment

In Bolivia they make Anticuchos as a street food. Had it after my cousin's wedding once it was really good! Thinly sliced then roasted over fire on skewers. Delicioso!

Comment

My mom used to make delicious heart. She removed all of the veins and arteries as well as all of the connective tissues and ligaments. She then braised it in beef stock with potatoes, carrots and any turnips for a couple of hours. After braising she would make a gravy from the liquid. While the liquid was thickening she would slice the heart and quick fry it in batter as a contrast to the braised vegetables. Oh, so good.

Comment

My mom simmered heart until cooked through, chilled it well, and sliced it thin for sandwiches. The texture is a little like properly cooked gizzard -- firm, chewy, but moist. I prefer heart over tongue, which mom also cooked and served much the same way. I haven't cooked either one since I've been grown. We got these meats when our family butchered a hog.
              Last edited by IowaGirl; October 2, 2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Man i miss tongue. Was regularly available in the deli growing up in scotland. Sandwiches with butter and beef tongue for lunch...mmmmmm.

grantgallagher - Tongue is super abundant in Hispanic and Korean markets. I thought you guys in Jersey had Hispanics falling out of the trees. If you just want to eat it, find a taqueria.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                I live in an area with a large Mexican base. Even Wal-Mart carries tongue in the store I go to.

• DiverDriver
                DiverDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Yuppers if the menu has no lengua they are not authentic in my book.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Geeze the way things are going we'll all be living near a large Mexican base

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here