Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 hr Naked Brisket vs a 12 hr Wrapped Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 hr Naked Brisket vs a 12 hr Wrapped Brisket

Hello Guys. I hope you are all well. I use a pellet grill.

I like to put my brisket on at midnight and wake up at 9 or so when it's close to being done.

Because of this, I normally fail to wrap my brisket when I am suppose to at the stall phase.

Do you guys think that wrapping my brisket with butcher paper when it is raw, and cooking it the whole time in the paper, would produce a juicer brisket at 225 than one that is cooked completely naked?

Would the end result with butcher paper be a less smokey brisket ?

Thanks for your time

If you wrap prior to cooking, I would be surprised if you got any smoke flavor. I suggest wrapping when you get up. The bark should be well formed, and you will probably have an hour or two left for the cook. Having said that, I never wrap and I get rave reviews on my brisket.

Comment

• dahcopilot
      dahcopilot commented
      Editing a comment
      same here

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I have only wrapped once, and that was cause I was in a hurry to get somewhere. Wrapped in foil and put it in the oven to finish.

I’ve wrapped after only 6 hours due to schedule before. I got some darn good pot roast, but it wasn’t smoked brisket.

If if you are running at 250, you could dial down to 225 and that will add enough time that when you wake up you can wrap just after good bark has formed. Wrapped, it should still finish in reasonable time and you could kick it up higher after wrapping to speed up the end a little.

i always do my briskets overnight because it’s easier by schedule. I usually wrap around 11-12 hours and it takes a couple more to finish

Comment

I never wrap either and get great results.

Comment

Wrap early=no bark=no flavor=mush=

Comment

I would think (haven't tried it) that it would be jus like stickin it in a crockpot, or DO, results wise...

Kinda high dollar pot roast...

I'd haveta reckon it's be considerable moister...

Also haveta reckon it'd git very lil kiss of th smoke flavour...

I'd be interested in seein yer results, hearin yer feedback, if ya do a brisky in this wise...

I'm always learnin...

Comment

I would just not wrap until you wake up, or else skip wrapping, and crank the heat when you wake up, to finish on time. Example - I smoked a butt this past Saturday night, from frozen, put it in at 11pm at 250F smoker temp. Got up at 7am and the meat was at 170. I cranked the pit up to 300, and got it to probe tender by 9:15am, wrapped, and went to faux cambro until lunch at 1pm.

Comment

I rarely wrap brisket, and when I do it’s never to get through the stall. 9 out of 10 times I don’t wrap until it’s off the pit and heading to the warming oven or cambro.

Had to wrap early once (about 4 hours in), due to unexpected circumstances. It was at ~140°F when I wrapped and stuck in the oven inside. It tasted good, and was very moist, but didn’t have much bark and smoke flavor was very low. Don’t recommend that method at all!
              Last edited by Santamarina; May 22, 2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

If you read Meat's tutorial, he says it is not essential. I think wrapping gives you a longer window, but doesn't change flavor or texture. But I'm no expert, just a guy with a fire. I've done both, and IMO it is not critical; you can make both good and mediocre brisket either way. Whichever you use, follow the plan.

Comment

If you just need to adjust timings, lower the temp (as has already been suggested) and skip the wrap. Wrapping from start will give you a pot roast with no bark.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here