Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brisket

So I tried my first Prime Brisket and cooked it to 180 internal on the PBC, wrapped in tin foil and threw it in the oven at 300 to finish. The point was probe tender when the flat was at 193 but I let it ride waiting for the flat to be probe tender. The flat loosened up at 203 so I thought I was golden.

Unwrapped it to let it cool a bit and then re-wrapped and cambro'd for 2 hours.

Imagine my chagrin when the end of the point and the end of the flat were both bone dry. I salvaged about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cook from the meat in between which was juicy enough. Just enough meat for the 8 guests so at least that worked out well. They left happy.

This is a new one for me. Both ends dry. Possible culprits?
    - oven temp too high. I set it to 300 and I know it cycles very high so it might of been hitting 350 at the high point.
    - I can't see cooking it longer since the Point got ruined. It was ready hours before. Also, this wasn't a case of it being tough, this was sawdust dry.
    - so I have to assume I cooked it too long, but both probing for tenderness and therming to 203 led me to leave it in this long.
    - I know I have to start injecting but I haven't had one this dry before AND I don't want to inject the point.

First, here is the beautiful asteroid before going into the cambro. It started off as a 12# Prime Brisket from Costco. You can see the point ended up twisted a bit from me trimming the fat pokets away. I now have fat for grinding hamburgers

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	682190

I will show you the pretty stuff first. Here is the meat from the middle on the serving tray and on my plate.

Name:	IMG_0967.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	682191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	682192

But now here is the bad news. A dry point and flat.

Name:	IMG_0969.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	682193Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	682194

I was trying to 'just let the PBC' do its thing so I didn't keep any notes. And I was trying just to cook to 'probe tender' so I didn't pay as much attention to temps as I usually do (or make notes).

The good news is my Wife has a hankering for Chinese Fried Rice with Brisket pieces, and I can't wait to have Meathead's beans again but this time with left over brisket. I know where the dry stuff is going!

Sometimes you just gotta bust out ......

Here's one I turned into pot roast mush.....

I usually look around and find a nice prime packer brisket either at HEB or Costco to put into my meat frig. I do this on a rotating basis, let it wet cure for 45 days, cook it, then

Your flat looks awfully thin, I've just been cutting those off and making grind or pastrami out of them, they never seem to keep from drying out. Better luck next time !!!

Comment

• Hugh
      Hugh commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutman. I guess that's what makes brisket so darn interesting. Its hard to cook!

It may be that unwrapping before the Cambro let too much moisture escape while it was so hot. I guard the moisture in my brisket to the point of only slicing it just before it is plated. In my experience brisket is just looking for a chance to dry out.

Comment

I think you need to leave MORE fat cap on it! Give grease a chance!

Comment

Agree with the above comments. Leave a thin fat cap on. don't give it any chance on drying out. Calibrate your oven. probably got way hotter than you thought. Looks overcooked to me. Don't sweat it happened to all of us. Call this a good learning experience. It ain't easy to get it right, but when you do it is gold..

Comment

Brisket dries quickly after being sliced.

Any idea what the PBC grate temp was? I was cooking a brisket one night and my PBC went scorched earth, rising to over 350 grate temp and still climbing (after I removed the lid for spritzing).

Are you sure your meat thermometer is accurate?

I would think bone-dry prime brisket in the PBC is a rare occurrence if done properly. Rethink your trimming (leave at least a quarter inch fat cap), dry brine for 24 hours, monitor your grate temp, spritz once an hour after bark formation, and make sure your meat thermometer is accurate.

Good luck next time. Brisket is the Mount Everest of BBQ. You'll get there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here