Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This chucky cook . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This chucky cook . . .

I haven't been able to post or do much cooking lately as we prepare for a cross-country move. But I managed to put a chucky on my kettle with S'nS and PartyQ. I ran at about 250° to an IT of about 180°. Then I wrapped in foil and took it to 205°. It was probe tender, so I held in a warming drawer for about 2 hours.

So here's the interesting part - look at the smoke ring. I dry brined about 3 days ahead of time and used Jarod's Trifecta 2.0 rub. I haven't seen this before. Maybe there was a pocket in the meat?

Another possibility - that slice was close enough to the end to get some myoglobin fixing from the end, making this shape when I sliced.

It was quite good, so no complaints, just interesting.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190517_194510.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.59 MB ID:	680817

That is odd, but I’ll bet it was good. Did you pull it?

Comment

• tdimond
      tdimond commented
      Editing a comment
      I decided to slice it, though some parts wound up shredding anyway.

I'd haveta imagine jus a matter of muscle density / fibrosity / porosity, in that particular area...
    I see this alla th time, reckon ain't no two pieces of meat th same, eh?
    Excellent lookin chuckie, 2nd one I been tormented by, already today!
    We gots severe T-storms rollin through, all day an night, but I might be able to sneak me in some smoke...
    Kinda in a lull, at present...meanin atmosphere is refirin, then BOOM! lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
      We gots severe T-storms rollin through, all day an night, but I might be able to sneak me in some smoke...
      Kinda in a lull, at present...meanin atmosphere is refirin, then BOOM! lol!
      Lookin' like a pretty short lull at the moment, Bonsey! Keep your powder (and your charcoal) dry ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	680927

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Brother!
        Never said it was gonna be easy..
        Looks like earlier, MN / IA NE /MI were bearin th brunt of it all; th radar was lit up ten times more than Grand Finale, on 4th of July!

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Watch your top knot Bonsey !

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Many Thanks, RustyHaines ...
        Been tryin to git slimmed down, where th wind jus cain't find me, no more...
        Til then, I'll keep myself as down as possible...
        I live in a slab duplex, so it makes way more sense to me to go chase th tornadoes, then sit here, whimper, an hope it misses me...
        Ain't like whimperin ever helped a man, jus made him feel better, at that particular moment...
        Usually, we jus drag out th coolers, an hit th lawn chairs, watch em come on in....

Looks great! What size chuckie and how long did it take before you put it in the drawer?

Comment

I think it was about 4 pounds. It was about 11 hours from start to hold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here