Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh brisket, you fickle mistress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh brisket, you fickle mistress...

I am doing two briskets for Mother's Day dinner today. They just happened to jump into my cart a couple days ago but that is another story.

Most briskets I do are usually in the 15-18 pound range. These were closer to 12 pounds so a bit smaller. Recently my brisket cooks have been taking longer than expected so I figured with the smaller briskets they will cook in around 12 hours. I started them at midnight on my Ranch kettle with a pretty big snake. Usually the ranch stays rock steady at 225-250 as long as the snake is there and when it gets towards the end (8 hours or so) I dump some more charcoal in and it keeps going.

So I put these on at midnight and the temps stayed steady through the night. When I woke up this morning at 7:30 the temp was a bit low (205) so I added some more charcoal and lit a few more briquettes to give it a quick boost. I also wrapped the briskets in butcher paper which I rarely do. The temp of the briskets was 150 degrees when we left for church and seemed to have stalled there so I figured they would just move along and be 180ish when I got home, cook up to 200ish for 2-3 more hours, and then have 4 hours or so to rest.

Well, I open the door and all I hear are alarms from my Smoke. I figured the temp might have dropped but no big deal, it just might take a bit longer. Of course not. The grill temp was 325 (I have rarely been able to get the Ranch over 275 with a reasonable snake) and the brisket was temping at 208. I spot checked a few other places and they were all in the 205-208 range.

I pulled them off the heat and got them safely resting in a cooler. They felt tender when I probed them but hopefully they didn't dry out too much or they aren't falling apart. I am really happy I wrapped them so hopefully that will preserve some of the moisture.

Just reinforces that briskets have a mind of their own and they do what they want to do. I am sure these will be fine but the next few hours of waiting are going to be excruciating.

Fascinating, can’t wait as you discover the outcome of your cook. Good story as a reminder, just when you thought........ 🕶

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      We are not in charge, the meat is.

Lookin forward to yer results; my money's on everything's Jus Fine!

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have any money, but I'll bet everything is gonna be OK.

A nice rest and all will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSousa View Post
      Just reinforces that briskets have a mind of their own and they do what they want to do. I am sure these will be fine but the next few hours of waiting are going to be excruciating.
      Yea they do

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        It'll, predictably be done, zackly when it's done, an not a minute sooner...

Al least ready early is probably better than late. I always get in trouble when the meat is late.

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, would rather be done 6 hours early than 10 minutes late.

Really looking forward to hearing the results of this cook. I’m sure they turned out great!

Comment

Well...how’d it turn out??!! 🧐😁

Comment

Well, not surprisingly it was one of the best briskets I have ever cooked. Super moist and a great texture. Not as much of a crusty bark as I usually like but everything else was excellent. The flat was moist and passes the bend and pull tests. The point was well rendered too.

Overall very happy with the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_174658.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	678281

Name:	20190512_174811.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	678282

Name:	20190512_174823.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	678283

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice!

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

• obiQsmoker
            obiQsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Whew!!

Yeah, those look incredible. Well done!

Comment

Those look awesome! Glad you got home in time to take them off!

Comment

Yay! So glad to hear that the cook was a success. Those briskies were your friends after all.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here