Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dalmatian Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalmatian Tri-Tip

Doing a tri-family Mother’s Day cook tomorrow for my wife and two of her best friends. Tri-tip is on the menu. For years I’ve been doing beef with a modified BBBR. The last few briskets I’ve smoked I used only Dalmatian rub (50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper), and really love it. Thinking about doing these tri-tips the same way...maybe a little garlic, since that’s the Santa Maria way. I think beef generally has enough flavor on its own that salt and pepper are sufficient seasonings. What do you think?

Planning to collect the drippings to make a gravy for mashed potatoes, and roast some veggies too!

Yup beef has enough flavor to get to carried away with seasonings.. but you had me at "collect the drippings for gravy for the mashed potatoes"

Comment

Salt, pepper, garlic, and oak. All the seasoning you need.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Good call on the oak!! I like pecan on pork and oak on beef.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Oak for sure. I do everything with oak, as I've got a nice local supply. Sometimes red, sometimes white, but always oak. When I'm doing tri-tip I sort through my wood for the red for the most authentic Santa Maria style.

• fttank
        fttank commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I agree! Red Oak if you can find it.

I like your plan. Salt and pepper is good enough but some garlic flavor is a good call too.

Comment

We use Dalmatian for 90% of our tri-tips. Its great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here