Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Short Ribs

I cooked these on my Mak 2 Star General yesterday. Cooked at 225F for 7 hours, then sauced them, then threw them in an aluminum pan for about 45 minutes to let the sauce set. The rub is Big Bad Beef Rub (with salt) and the Sauce is Kansas City Barbecue Sauce. I made the sauce as per the recipe with following variants: I doubled the honey to 1/2 cup, I used tamarind paste, I strained the onions after the sauce simmered.

Rubbed with EVOO and rubbed with BBBR. The BBBR was from the old (with salt) recipe so I did not dry brine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4550.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	6776

Here they are on the Mak 2. I have a sheet pan underneath to catch drippings. I poured 195F water in the pan to help with smoke adherence for the first few hours of the cook. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4553.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	6779

This is how they looked about 4 hours into the cook Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4556.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	6777

After about 7 hours the meat was in the 190s internal temp. I took them off and coated them liberally with KCBS while the Mak heated up to 325. I then covered the pan with foil and let them cook another 45 minutes or so on the Mak. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4557.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	6778

Here is a pic of the final product. I took these over to a friend's house. They were a huge hit. Tender, juicy, nice bark, the BBQ sauce was by far the best I've ever made... It was a good meal! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4559.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	6775

Where did you get the short ribs? All we have here are Select tough as nails short ribs. I only did them once. I would definitely have to order a higher grade next time. Or Jaccard them things for 12 hours like a mad man.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      You could always sous them at 129 for 72 hours, then shock, chill, and smoke.

Wow David, You made the high dollar beef look worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Where did you get the short ribs? All we have here are Select tough as nails short ribs. I only did them once. I would definitely have to order a higher grade next time. Or Jaccard them things for 12 hours like a mad man.
      ​They we're $7.99 per lb at my local grocer. Angus meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        Wow David, You made the high dollar beef look worth it!
        Thank you Sir. This was my first time cooking them. It won't be the last!

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

​They we're $7.99 per lb at my local grocer. Angus meat.

ahaha......gotcha

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            They also weren't really short ribs. They were called boneless short ribs on the package and the meat reminded me a lot of chuck roast. Then there was another label on the package that called it "pot roast" meat. Color me confused at this point.

Awesome! Will have to try this recipe soon. Looks soooo goood. I can get decent boneless short ribs at HEB.

Comment

Originally posted by bocefuss View Post
            Awesome! Will have to try this recipe soon. Looks soooo goood. I can get decent boneless short ribs at HEB.

I think you'll like the result very much.

Here's how we put leftovers to good use this morning at the Parrish Manor:

Eggs Benedict with Chopped beef:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4561.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	6820
            Attached Files

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah that's not a bad idea.

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I just groaned out loud looking at these pics. My wife demanded to know what website I was looking at.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL it's not all that hard to make if you can make eggs benedict.

Wow, looks so good

Comment

Looks really good, the original and the leftovers. I have some heart concerns for you though...

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                Looks really good, the original and the leftovers. I have some heart concerns for you though...

LOL, fear not. I got a physical earlier this year and my cholesterol is very normal. We're not here to talk about what healthy is anyway

Comment

My go to favorite is breakfast tacos the next morning with a hatch chili salsa

Comment

I like quesadillas with american cheese and my beef

Pork used to get mayo, now it gets my south carolina mustard sauce....

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We gotta upgrade you to a constructed cheese. Use a nice cheese, render it the same way 'Murican cheese in processed, profit massively.

That looks so fun to eat!

Comment

Lookin' good as always Dave

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here