Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and Fast Brisket using Kettle & WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot and Fast Brisket using Kettle & WSM?

I have a 14.5lb brisket in the fridge (in cryovac) which I want to cook next weekend. I've seen some videos lately using the H&F technique which I want to try. Cooking at 400F for first two hours, wrapping, then finish at 275F until probe tender (about 3 more hours) for a total of 5 hours.

My WSM though is an 18" so I would have to fit the brisket on the WSM perhaps over a SS bowl. However, I then had the thought of first cooking the brisket at ~400F on my 22" Kettle for 2 hours, wrapping in foil, then finishing at 275F on my WSM.

Thoughts??

I don’t see why that won’t work. The kettle may be easier to setup for indirect at 400 anyway. If you are wrapping in foil, why not just take it to the oven to finish up, and skip the WSM post wrap?

Comment

• JoeInTX
      JoeInTX commented
      Editing a comment
      You know I did have that (oven) thought, but that wouldn't be "BBQing"! lol But I know, since its wrapped anyway, it shouldn't make a difference.

Your formula is sound. Question: why not? Answer: yeah, go for it. You solved the real estate problem. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Just as i would say..

No worries. This is a solid plan.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it turns out. I always cook mine hot and fast at 300-335 degrees. I'm really intrigued to see how this will work out for you.

Comment

After thinking more about it (and viewing one of Harry Soo's videos), I think I decided to stay with the WSM. Doesn't really make much sense to use two cookers if wrapping anyway.

Comment

Listen, after wrapping if you’ve run out of fuel just finish in your oven. Putting it back on a smoker doesn’t add anything to the brisket anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            Listen, after wrapping if you’ve run out of fuel just finish in your oven. Putting it back on a smoker doesn’t add anything to the brisket anyway.
            Yeah, that's also why I decided why waste time using a second charcoal cooker if it doesn't really matter (since it would be wrapped).

Comment

You could also probably cook it at 325 the whole time. That's what I would do. But I defer to those with more brisket experience than I have.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here