Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Beef Tenderloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Beef Tenderloin

Broke down my first whole Beef Tenderloin for dinner tomorrow. I think I did alright.
    Attached Files

Looks right to me. I see the tenderloin with the tales trimmed off. What is the large chunk on the bottom right??

Comment

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      Backroadmeats I think it's part of the nose? The piece on the left was attached to it by fat. 🤷‍♂️. Its about 1 pound. I'll be reverse searing it tonight along with the Chateaubriand.
      Last edited by goosebr160; May 11, 2019, 06:55 AM.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Called a head roast.

Looks good to me! Best of luck with your cook!

Comment

Tenderloin is a favorite at our house for special occasions. It will be the Mother's Day cook for tomorrow!

Comment

Love cooking those things.

Comment

I've gotta try one sometime! I keep seeing them, but afraid to take the plunge due to costing so much. I'm just gonna have to dive in one day!

Hope yours turned out great!

Comment

• goosebr160
            goosebr160 commented
            Editing a comment
            It was delicious! I was planning to buy it regardless, but was pleasantly surprised that my local market had it on sale for $10 /pound.

Don't discard the 'chain meat' either. Makes for great stock.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            It's also great in soups and stews.

• goosebr160
            goosebr160 commented
            Editing a comment
            I used it to mix in with eggs for breakfast this week

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Stock? It makes great cheese steaks...

Chateaubriand on my PBC is the bomb. Especially with a basket of sausages hanging through the hinged grate as the reverse sear part of the cook allows the meat to come close to the desired temp before taking it off and searing it. In lieu of sausages you can skewer a couple of pieces of bacon. The flavor that the fat dripping from the bacon or one poked sausage (the rest in the basket are unpoked) provides as it hits the fire ups the flavor ante IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

I paid 22.99 a pound for prime beef tenderloin...admittedly it was nicely trimmed and ridiculously marbled for that cut of beef. I just am too chicken to not sous vide and sear... That is the "flawless" method that cannot be screwed up. I did a total of 9 pounds and sliced half of it to filet mignons and seared those as steaks.... I used BBR and some fresh thyme from the garden in the sous vide process and that was it... Wow that stuff was good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here