Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Curing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Curing Question

Meatheads recipe for Corned beef has the cure for 5-7 days. If I use the calculator its for 9-12 days. (Im at work and trying to remember the thickness. 2.5 inches is close to 9 days and 3 inches is 12 days.

Is it because of the other ingredients like the brown sugar and pickling spices that the cure time is shorter. Which time should I go with?

Not sure if it matters but I'm using a 3.2 pound chuck roast.

Remember Meathead's recipe is for brisket which is relatively thin and flat compared to arm and chuck. When curing cuts other than brisket, it's likely the cure calc will produce different answers.

I did a 3.2 pound arm roast and the cure time was about 8.5 days per the cure calculator. The meat was uniformly pink all the way through to the center, so I'd say the cure time was about right for this cut. Based on my experience with that arm roast, I'd say your numbers sound about right for a chuck roast.

Remember you're using an excess of salt if you're following the method given in the cure calc. Measure the smallest dimension, enter the shape, and then stick with the plan created by the cure calc. If you cure longer than necessary, your meat will continue to get saltier.

The timing is all about the rate at which the nitrite penetrates through the meat and the final nitrite concentration in the meat at the end of the cure. It has nothing to do with sugar, spices, etc. Those ingredients only flavor the outside of the meat -- they do not penetrate into the meat very far if at all.
    Last edited by IowaGirl; May 8, 2019, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      One correction- measure the thickest thickness of the meat, not the smallest dimension.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. I misspoke.

Always use the calculator, it is the precise authority. Make sure you enter in the thickest part, the correct weight, and the liquid it takes to cover said piece of meat. If all of these details are accurate, trust the calculator. You can go longer on the cure time, 25% or so, w/o worry.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

One follow up question, if the cure is done before you are ready to cook it, is there a best way to store it for a day or three or should you just cook it.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Leave it in the cure until you are ready to cook. Going another couple of days won't hurt it. The cure should make it safe.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You can leave it in the cure for 20% longer than the prescribed curing time by the calculator. Don't go longer than that. You can leave it out in the fridge for a few days with the rub on. Remember, you have to desalinate as well and that can take a day. I generally leave the rub on the corned beef for three days after curing and desalinating. Then smoke to pastrami perfection.

Not that there was a doubt, but Meatheads recipe was spot on. The Corned beef came out great.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        It is my favorite recipe on the site.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here