Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Clod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Clod

I've heard some tall tales about monstrous beef shoulder clods around 15 pounds and bigger, so when I was in Costco today I came across a shoulder cut labeled as "Clod" but weighing in at around 5 pounds. My interested piqued, I bought the thing - at 4.99 a pound it wasn't too bad. So anyhow I schlepped it home, trimmed it like I would a brisket slathered it with a mustard base (mustard, Jack Daniels, cider vinegar, brown sugar, tabasco, and some Worcestershire) and blasted it with some Owen's BBQ Tatanka Dust rub that I'm right partial to.

Question is - Assuming I cook this thing like a brisket when does it come off? 195/197? 203/205? Recommended Pit Temp? 250? Anyone ever seen a "clod" around 5 lbs? Thanks for any input I can harvest. BTW - here's what the "clod" looks like, trimmed, slathered and seasoned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0652.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	67175

I did a shoulder a couple of weeks ago. I think I took it out at 135 or so? I wanted rare beef, and I was prepared to slice it. Worked out very well for me. Good flavor and fantastic sandwiches. Probably the best I have done with beef to date.

Comment

I would cook it like a chuck roast/brisket and take it to 200-ish, or whatever temp screams probe tender.

Comment

Thanks folks! Appears I'm on the right track. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Pretty sure it's another name for chuck roast, at least this has always been my perception. Lots of fats and collagens may be tough if done medium rare-ish. Great cut to take up past well done and hold like brisket, or for pulled beef.

Comment

The clods we get at the restaurant average 5-8 pounds. One has to break them down to remove tendons, etc. if you are cooking to a temp. Whole clods are best cooked(in my experience, at least) as one would cook brisket, chuck(which is where the clod comes from), etc. I use them at work to make chili. It also makes great shredded or pulled beef.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Strat50, does the chuck come from the clod, or does the clod from the chuck? Just curious how they break things down technically. Bet you could cut some great stuff out of a clod.

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              The clod comes from the chuck, as I understand it. I'm not a meat cutter by trade, but this is my understanding from my tours through the local distributors meat program(s).

Ok, success! 7 Hours, foiled at 160 with beef broth, took it off at 197. Mixed a little ketchup with the drippings for sauce. Good smoke ring, fork tender. Will have sandwiches for a while. Very tasty, rivals any brisket I've ever done.

Name:	DSC_0062_zpsia8womxt.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	67584

Name:	DSC_0065%202_zpsjjvobvty.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	67585
            Attached Files
            Last edited by scorched_porch; March 2, 2015, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• HawksJ
              HawksJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I went to a restaurant today in Columbia, MO called Bandana's (it's a small chain) and instead of brisket, they served 'shoulder clod'.

I was pretty impressed. It has the same beefy flavor as brisket, but a finer grain, almost like a rump roast. It also reminded me of a smoked Tri-tip, but I'm sure it's far less-expensive.

I don't ever remember seeing it at the grocery store, so I'm going to the butcher shop and ask them about it,

Beautiful, just freakin' BEAUTIFUL! I can see the softness and the moisture. Great smoke ring too. Very nice cook, Mr.Porch, very nice indeed.

Comment

Yum yum, nicely done!

Comment

Likin it!

Comment

Gorgeous. Nicely done.

Comment

Thanks, fellas. I had fun with this one. And now I have a lot of sandwiches. Thank God for in laws that love BBQ. me and Mrs. Scorch couldn't fit anything else in the freezer!

Comment

"Mrs. Scorch"... that has a nice ring to it. Maybe I'll start calling DW "Mrs. Boss".

I could try "Mrs. Pit" too and see where that takes me. lol

Comment

• scorched_porch
                        scorched_porch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
                        I could try "Mrs. Pit" too and see where that takes me. lol
                        I'm guessing not very far...

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I discussed it with her. Mrs. Boss it is!

Looks tasty!! The clods we get usually weigh in around 22 pounds. We treat them just like brisket. They make phenomenal sandwiches.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here