Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time with Hanger Steak and Denver Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time with Hanger Steak and Denver Steak

I finally got around to cooking and trying a hanger steak and denver steak. Overall I was very impressed with the flavor and texture of both. The hanger steak reminded me of a ribeye cap but it was slightly more mineraly tasting in a good way. The denver steak was a bit sweeter tasting, not as bold of a beefy flavor, but still had a great tender texture with some great marbling. I will definitely be eating these two cuts more often.

The hanger was about 1.25 pounds and the denver steaks were right around 1.4 pounds for the two of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_164906.jpg
Views:	1495
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	670170

I reverse seared the denver steaks since they were a thicker than the hanger. They were right about 1 1/2 inches thick and the top one was thicker than the bottom one. When they cooked they plumped up nicely. The one on top ended up being about as thick as it was long. Basically just a nice cube of meat. They probably could have used a couple more minutes of cooking but I would rather have them a bit too rare the first time than too done. They were right around 120 degrees but 125 would have been better.

Name:	20190425_181842.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	670173

Name:	20190425_181903.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	670171

Name:	20190425_182414.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	670172

For the hanger steak I just cooked it direct over the coals. No reverse sear since it was somewhat thin. Everything I have read about hanger is that you definitely don't want it to go beyond medium rare. Again, I probably erred a couple degrees rare on it but the texture was great. Not rubbery or chewy at all. Still very tender and there were some nice crusty bits on the outside.

Name:	20190425_180627.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	670175

I started cutting before I thought to take a picture. This was cut along the membrane that runs through the steak.

Name:	20190425_181650.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	670174

Name:	20190425_181659.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	670176

I just seasoned them with salt so I could get a good taste of the meat coming through. I will definitely be mixing these cuts in with my normal ribeyes, strips, and tri-tips. Between the two I think I prefer the hanger slightly more than the denver. But you can't go wrong with either.

Sweet. Have to try me a hanger one day. Only hanger I been around is an airplane hanger.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      You won't be disappointed. Great flavor and a nice, loose texture.

The only problem with these butcher cuts is that pesky supply and demand thing. Once the trend lemmings jump on board the price will double.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      look what happened to flatiron steaks

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Or skirt steak, or flank steak, etc., etc.

Nothing better than a fun steak experiment and comparison! Nice!

Comment

Nice~! I love the Denver cut. I cut mine into thick steaks and then made medallions out of them for more uniform cooking. Turned out great!

Comment

Thanks for the detailed post. It is time for breakfast and now I am hungry for meat.

Comment

Nice writeup and great photos, JoeSousa . I love hangar steak in fajitas. The flavor can definitely stand up to the veggies and spices. I've got a couple of Denver steaks in my freezer. Best get to cooking 'em. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathryn

Comment

When I bought my first Denver cut steaks a couple of years ago, I had to look them up. Here's a description by Greg Brockman, head butcher at Forager's Market in Brooklyn, excerpted from this article:

Where does it come from?

"The Denver cut is from the chuck, which runs along the flat side of the shoulder blade," explains Brockman. That may seem like a tough situation for a cut of steak; the chuck, of the shoulder, is the heaviest worked part of a steer, often used for slow cooking, pushed as a pot roast at most, or even ground beef.

But the Denver has it good. "It’s more of a support muscle," says Brockman. "Usually if a muscle isn’t used as much, it has less blood going through it and has less flavor." The Denver is located in a well-used muscle group to which blood flows thoroughly. And being a lesser-used muscle amongst them, it’s more tender with fat deposits. "The Denver is still part of the shoulder, which is used often " it just happens to be a tender cut amongst tougher cuts.”

Why choose the Denver?

"It’s a great everyday steak," says Brockman. "If you want something similar to a New York strip, this is a great option " it doesn’t have the fat cap, but it’s marbled and cooked similarly.”

The only place I can source either hanger or Denver steaks is from a butcher shop in a town about an hour away (what I call my semi-local butcher shop). They're worth the drive.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanx for this post.

Comment

Very nice post indeed. To add to what Kathryn wrote, the Denver cut is from the bottom of the chuck roll. It's the most tender part of the chuck in that, like it says above, it's a more supportive muscle than working. It's the same general area the chuck eyes originate from as well.

Hanger, well that's one of my favorite cuts of beef. Your's came out great, love how tender and beefy they are.

Both cuts are not easy to source, the hanger used to be called the "butcher's cut" because the butchers would source that for themselves !! Again very nicely done JoeSousa

Comment

I grilled my first hanger steaks last week end. Really really good. I just salted then good a couple hours and then grilled then over a hot Fogo charcoal fire.
                  Went back and got some more for this week end because they were on sale for $2.49 a pound.

Comment

• JoeSousa
                    JoeSousa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At $2.49 a pound I would buy all they had and tell them to order as much as they can and buy that as well. That is an amazing price.

Those perfect to me. What is this "too rare" you speak of, by the way? 🥩

Comment

Yes I paid about $7.00 a pound last week.

Comment

I am a HUGE fan of the Chuck eye steak. Almost as much as the ribeye

Comment

Can you recommend some electric smoker for making these types of delicious meal? I have read the buying guide for electric smoker form some blogs but need some more suggestions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here