Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket question for my Texan brethren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket question for my Texan brethren

So I've been tasked with cooking for my co-workers at a, let's call it "team building" event. It'll be about 10-12 folks. They aren't picky and enjoy it when I cook. I want to do a Texas BBQ menu, I am doing PBC brisket w/ salt and pepper rub, but what else should I serve to make it authentic Texas BBQ? What are the must haves to make it legit Texas BBQ, sides, condiments, dessert, etc?

The first thing that comes to mind is pinto beans. I believe Mr. Bones is the man when it comes to great beans.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; April 24, 2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Lone Star beer and Bob Wills music come to mind. Maybe a little ZZ Top to balance it out.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the Waylon Jennings thoughts Cap,

You can hear the Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville Tennessee
        Its the home of country music on that we all agree
        But when you cross that ol' Red River hoss,
        That just don't mean a thing
        Once you're down in Texas, Bob Wills is still the King

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        More of Red Steagall reference Troutman, but Waymore is definitely the Man. I flat grew up with him and Merle, and Possum, and Ernest, and Charley, and Hank(s), and......

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Old ZZ. Don't much care for the studio/MTV version. More of a "Little 'ol Band from Texas" fan.

Bob Wills is still the King.

Rudy's Creamed Corn: https://www.bluebonnetbaker.com/2011...d-corn-recipe/
      (Not a Texan myself, but my wife's family is from the Hill Country).

Comment

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely agree with this suggestion!

• efranzen
        efranzen commented
        Editing a comment
        I have made this, but spread out the corn on a baking sheet and put in to the smoker for an hour before adding to the pan.

Not a Texan ... but I lived there long enough to get to know the food. Keep it simple: pinto beans (as already mentioned), slaw, potato salad, and plain ol' white bread as sides.

Comment

In addition to the pintos mentioned above, Coleslaw, Mac and cheese, sliced onion, pickle chips and white bread are pretty typical. Some places will serve Texas Caviar (black eyed pea salad).

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike, LA Pork Butt you got that right. Cowboy caviar is the stuff. Had it for the first time a couple of years ago in a local deli run by a guy from NYC - I am hooked!

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Soak the onion in sugared water for an hour or 2 to de tune it.

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          @LAporkbutt Oh man, I love Texas Caviar. good call!

au4stree , the Texas Trinity of BBQ is brisket, pork ribs, and sausage. These are almost a given on any bbq joint in Texas, at a minimum. As noted above, pinto beans are a must, not sweet baked beans. Sides run the gamut, but mac and cheese, potato salad, and cole slaw are common. Garnish items are usually white bread, pickles, fresh sliced onions, and jalapenos.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I forgot the jalapeños.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          What about nopales (cactus)? That was on every lunch and dinner plate I was served when I was in southwest Texas.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the nopales, if you can find them.

I would suggest making those pintos into borracho beans. Here’s one take, but variations abound. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...Borracho-Beans. Also some jalapeño poppers to go with the suds.

Comment

A big hat.

Comment

A bigger belt buckle!
          Last edited by HawkerXP; April 24, 2019, 05:30 PM. Reason: big baby

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Gunrack on your smoker!!!

Sounds like everyone’s got it covered - the not-sweet beans are a must!

Comment

Just to follow up....

So I did the cook for dinner tonight and everything was great! I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions. We ended up doing whole chickens, Rudy’s cream corn, creole Cole slaw and banana pudding. I was called into a last minute meeting and couldn’t cook brisket, so chicken was a great substitute.

Thanks again yall. Grill on!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
              Oak Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Banana pudding! One of my favorite things for dessert.

You all forgot one staple at any Texan gathering. Hot Air! A true Texan has so much hot air in them, they can blow on a bull's ass and crack his horns. Love my brothers across the river. When they secede, Lousiana is going with them.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Louisana, the only state that got smaller as they got older....lol jk brothers in arms right there.

On a side note, I cooked the chicken on my PBC. I probably sold 10 of those after our gathering. Everyone one wanted one, all took pictures and asked where to buy. I wonder if Noah will give me a referral fee.

Comment

Does TX barbecue serve dill or bread and butter pickles?

Comment

• Texas Larry
                Texas Larry commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve usually had dill, but love bread and butter.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                dill. Don't forget the sliced onions!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here