Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot fast brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot fast brisket

I smoked a full packer brisket Saturday that is by far the best I've ever turned out. I hope it wasn't a fluke. I knew I was going hotter than I had before so I didn't trim as much as I normally do. I left a good 3/8 inch fat cap, trimmed most of the large fat pieces off the sides, but left the fat between the point and flat. I did remove the flat at the end of the point. I thought it would end up too dry. I dry brined for about 24 hours then rubbed with my own rub. About an hour later it went on my KJ at 300 degrees with mesquite chunks for smoke. When I closed the lid I did not open it again until 195 internal. No wrap, just heat, smoke and time. It was still a little firm at 195 so I took it on to 203. At that point the round wooden skewer I use to probe went through like it was butter. I was concerned when I pulled it off, if ever a brisket looked like a meteorite this one did. It was wrapped in foil and went the faux Cambro for 3 hours. The bark is incredible, it's moist, it doesn't try to fall apart and slices beautifully. The flavor is deep and rich. I will try this again soon. I guess I should add that this was a certified angus, choice brisket, that had been wet aged 70 days.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; April 23, 2019, 02:51 PM.

Nice work. You could even go to 325f. How much did it weight and long did it take to you to get to 203?

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      It was 16 lbs before the trim and removing the exposed flat. I'm guessing 10 lbs going on the grill. I was surprised, but it took 8 hrs even at that temp.

Pics? Did this really happen?

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      tee hee

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Guilty! I never think about that when I'm cooking, just afterwards. Then again there are some cooks I don't want to show or remember!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have loved to see that meteorite, and what it looked like cracked open.

I did one at 350 in the Pit Barrel in 5 hours with a turkey and a chuck roast.

On multiple brisket cooks I've often thought about cutting off that thin piece of flat and sticking them together to form thicker pieces.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I give my son the thin part. He SV's them then brings them over for a couple of hours on the smoker. They aren't like ones that were smoked the whole way, but very good.

I did a turbo brisket once at 300 that turned out good. I like to separate the point from the flat and wrap the flat.

Comment

Man wheres the BEEF !!! ( pics )

Sounds like you did a awesome job !

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Check the pics on the next post. Mine didn't look that good! Those are beautiful! Congrats Ahumadora.

Taught a bbq class today at a new restaurant that bought a second pit off me today. Basically told them dont bother at 225f unless partially cooking a ribeye to finish on the parrilla. 300f all the way. Today I was pushing 340f as short on time. Spare ribs, beef ribs and pastrami on the menu. I have another class at a brewery on Saturday.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ahumadora; April 23, 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Everything looks incredible.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Burn baby, burn! Looks great!

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow !!

Interested in this thread. Have read about this technique but have not tried. Sounds great!

Comment

Interested also.
        One thing that has stopped me from smoking a brisket is my inability to keep the Keg at 225-250 range.
        Its sweet spot seems to be 325-350.
        Looks like I may have a mission this weekend if I can find one I can afford, brisket prices have gone thru the roof here in the GTA.

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Passover. Brisket prices always go up around Jewish holidays according to our Sysco rep at work.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here