Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden voyage on the new Rec Tec Bull - Beef plate ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden voyage on the new Rec Tec Bull - Beef plate ribs!

Was a fantastic first run on the Bull today. Chose Beef plate ribs and they were as good as they look in pics.

A few observations:
    1. I was disappointed in the overall lack of meat on these bones. A couple shiners. Going to inspect more thoroughly next time. But they did have some solid marbling on two of the bones
    2. As you can see, the Bull has ZERO issues producing smoke in the meat. For any doubters, see for yourselves
    3. Two were on for about 6.5 hours and the other two for about 8. The bark was VERY pronounced, I almost think I'll wrap a little bit next time. Different than brisket where you slice really thin
    Question - Is the cartilage between the bone and upper meat supposed to render? It was still intact, so I trimmed it off after pulling the meat from the bone

The flavor was spectacular and they remained very moist. Can't wait for another run with a meatier rack.
    Tomorrow is an apricot-pepper glazed spiral ham

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190420_083155.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.87 MB ID:	667799

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190420_145353.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	667801

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190420_180633.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	667802

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190420_180640.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.52 MB ID:	667800

Wow, that looks really good!

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks Henrik !

Crazy smoke ring!

Comment

That's food coloring!!!

Beautimous!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedyB View Post
    [/LIST]Question - Is the cartilage between the bone and upper meat supposed to render? It was still intact, so I trimmed it off after pulling the meat from the bone
    I can't see what you're talking about from the pics, but I wouldn't think there would be actual cartilage in that spot. But essentially, no, if it's cartilage, it's not going to render, period. If it is just a layer of fat you're talking about, yes, you can get it to render. You can take the temp up higher and generally get this to happen, but if they're really thin and there isn't a lot of meat, you run the risk of it getting too tough or dried out, like jerky.

Did you check an internal temp on these? I've done them a couple of times, and generally, I think the consensus is to do them just like brisket. Look for the "wobble" and temp should be probably high 190s to low 200s for optimal tenderness, which should render most areas of fat (except large bands). Again, this could be problematic if they are too thin.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      DogFaced PonySoldier yes I had thermos in some cooking and also tested with the instant thermo to triple check and probe.

The cartilage I'm speaking of basically wraps itself around the bone and is attached on the underside of the meat. It's not fat. Same thing on pork spare ribs.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I agree, cartilage is what attaches the ribs to say other bones. In between the ribs is the fat and intercostal muscles along with some ligaments. You may have gotten a ligament. Cut it out, it won’t render.

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman, I tried to cut around it after which was a real pain.

Do you typically eat them off the bone like pork ribs or do you cut them? If you cut them, I suppose all plate ribs have that rubbery connective cartilage between the meat and bone (would be a layer underneath the meat if you pull off the bone)? I wouldn't think it was a rendering issue isolated in my case

Wow! Nice!

Comment

Great lookin' cook.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx RonB !

Love the smoke ring, nice looking ribs.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate it as always Troutman !

I see nothing wrong with your cook. They look perfect. And now I’m hungry again. 😁👍👍

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha Steve B I know that feeling. Thank you!

My favorite! Those ribs look tasty.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Randy-Phx ! Excited to take a crack at a set with more meat!

Those look fantastic! Not sure you’d call that a smoke ring as it almost hits the bone... lol. What temp were those cooked at?

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      rwalters thank you! Smoked at 260 degrees.

But yeah, they took lots of smoke!

Those look perfect! What kind of pellets did you use?

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you treesmacker ! I used some Traeger Hickory pellets with a splash of Apple and Mesquite

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here