Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dark Blue Spots on Brisket Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Blue Spots on Brisket Flat

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. I picked up a choice flat from Costco yesterday, thought I would try the Clint SVQ method that was in the latest email this weekend.

Anyway, when I opened it to begin the dry brine, I noticed some very dark blue (almost purple) spots along the edge of the flat. The pack date was 4/17, purchased on 4/17, sell by 4/24. Photo of the spots attached.

Thoughts? Safe? Return to Costco and do ribeyes this weekend instead?

Thanks again!

Scott
    Attached Files

Looks like an inspector went wild with his food stamping. I'd just cut that fat out anyway, as long as it's just topical you should be fine. If it bleeds back into the meat it may be something else, but again it looks like food coloring from the inspection process.

Comment

Never seen that, but I'm tempted to think it's harmless and would be trimmed off anyway. I'd wet age them a few weeks, then trim & cook. You'll love brisket even more!

Comment

What Troutman said. That is harmless, just trim it off if you like. If it was truly bad you would smell it and it would feel slimy

Comment

"Inspectors gone wild".... I picture Spring Breaking inspectors clad in bikinis... wait, never mind!

They must have been having a party in the meat packing plant!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here