Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Selection TTPs...... Lets hear ‘em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Selection TTPs...... Lets hear ‘em!

The set-up / backstory:

I was conversing with a couple fellas at work today who are also known to tend to their outdoor cookers on the weekend, and Brisket came up. Not the first time, we always argue about who’s brisket is the best (of corse it’s mine 😝), methods for prep, rubs, wood selection, how long to smoke, and all other things brisket. A newer topic of discussion today was actual selection of the brisket at the store. One of the guys said he cooks exclusively prime packers, another guy said he orders Wagyu on occasion, and the other 2 guys said that they buy whatever is cheapest beacause, "all those Meat grades are made up anyway just to charge the suckers more!" 😂 "The grades don’t matter, it’s all about selection! I have a secret and proven technique that even if applied to shoe leather will turn out better product than you and your fancy Prime or Wagyu!" 🤔🤨😶 I’m typically somewhere in between. I’ve never cooked Wagyu, I KNOW my skills aren’t there yet and I would dare insult the meat like that. My favorite is Prime and that is what I will typically get at Costco. I have had success though, with Choice and even LIMITED success with Select when I’m just REALLY jonesing for brisket but can’t afford to go better quality. Nevertheless, he had my attention. I was curious as to his "technique" and tried digging deeper. After SIGNIFICANT prodding, he gave his thesis on hunk ‘o’ meat selection. I’ll spare you most of the fluff, basically he attempts to fold the brisket in half. The one that folds over the most wins. Zero weight is placed on amount of deckle fat, fat cap, temperature, or space in the cryo-vac bag. I will say that he has brought decent samples into work, but it’s pretty inconsistent. This did get me thinking though..........

The Question:

USDA Grade aside, what is your technique for selecting a whole packer brisket? Weight? Flop? Fat content? Spiritual guidance from a tribal shaman? Kroger is running Choice brisket on sale near me for $1.99 per pound and I’d be curious to apply some PitMember Methodology!

I look for a thicker flat, especially towards the end. If the end of the flat is super thin I usually pass. Ideally I want to see around an inch thick but those can be hard to find.

I have heard from others that a floppy brisket is better than a firm one but most of the ones I pick up seem pretty floppy so I haven't paid too much attention to that.

Comment

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      I will certainly look for a thicker flat. I don’t know that I have paid much attention to that before. Thanks!

Karnak says.......

Comment

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, very similar to the method I’ve been employing. 🤣

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know if I'm happy that I know the reference or am sad that so many won't...

I'm with JoeSousa I like a thicker flat at the end. I like to eyeball for decent marbling but not an overly fat cap that will lose a lot to trimming. And it's gotta be floppy. Maybe not "bend-in-half" floppy, but floppy nonetheless. Maybe a little squishy too.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      ^This

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Just spend a little time with them, kick the tires, flop 'em over and around. After a while they do start to show their character. It sounds kind of silly, but it won't after you do it a few times. Hahaha, kind of like sex, I guess!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree!

I read somewhere, maybe here in the Pit, that a stiff brisket was probably recently packed, and as it ages in the cyrovac bag it gets floppier. This I found as I was studying if I would feel safe keeping the prime packer I bought at Costco in my fridge for a week. I decided it had about a medium flop and I would do it. I turned the temp down in my fridge and it will be in there from Saturday to Friday when I will take it out, trim and season it for a Saturday cook. Anyone else heard of the flop verses aging? Maybe the guy is buying an aged brisket and that helps with his success.

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      So... today I received my new book "Operation BBQ" and found a recipe for Brad's Brad Ass Brisket. Here's a quote "Choose a pretty brisket...with a good amount of fat. Hold it up, meat side down, with one hand in the middle. If it lets gravity take over and starts to bend or fold over your hand, it's going to be a beauty: good and tender!"
      So, my prime brisket for cook tomorrow started to bend and fold - yeah! Also, I'm trying the rub from this recipe.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Check for the "packed on" date when buying a brisket at Costco. You should be able to wet brine in the original unopened packaging at least 30 days from that date. Some here go as long as 60 days, but I don't have that much nerve.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Almost forgot - take a photo of the amount of bend when you buy it, and another photo when you are ready to cook and compare - maybe post the results here...

I dunno, but a week is nothing. If it's still in the cryovac you can go WAAAAAAY longer. I went over 80 days once with a Prime packer from Costco and it was great.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got one in the fridge now that's on day 65.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct, JPGators17. The cryovac is pretty good. It's extraordinarily common for the better steakhouses to keep their top butts (for sirloin) and other cryovac'd stuff for 30, 45, or even 60 days before cutting. The added time in a very low non-freezing temp (under 35ºF) allows the enzymes to break down muscle protein and tenderize them more. Very effective. I pushed mine, I imagine you could go longer, but I don't see the need.

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, had no idea. I just had a guy tell me he thought his tasted funny after just over a week in the cryo.

Well, here we are. Thanks to everyone that responded. I picked up 2 Choice briskets on sale. Both ~20 lbs pre trim. I tried to take bits of everybody’s advice and methods to pick the best of what was available. I asked the guy at the meat counter about the pack date, but he didn’t know what I was looking for. To be fair, he’s a high school kid who only knows what the boss tells him to do. Good kid though and a hard worker, so no worries. Anywho, I picked the thickest flats I could find. They have a little "squish" to them. The heavier of the two doesn’t have much flop to it. It’s got a little, just not a whole lot. The cryo bag is pretty tight and the deckle fat seemed kind rigid, which I think is preventing some of the flop. I will probably let that one wet age for awhile, but I may very well run an Easter Brisket with the other one!!!!! Thanks for the tips everybody’s! Click image for larger version

Name:	5B698222-6D6E-42DB-B244-3AE478B6DEC1.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	667229Click image for larger version

Name:	23CFAF02-DF0B-4699-B9D8-43440245BECD.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	667232Click image for larger version

Name:	C3A2DDC1-1426-4CEF-9727-1349D58E8358.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	667231Click image for larger version

Name:	97375856-ACEA-43CB-AD35-33FF874FC914.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	667230

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great to me. Nice, even shape and the flats look good. Can't wait to see pics of them after they are cooked.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Both look good to me also.

Those will do just fine.
    Every once in awhile I get the cops called on me while I’m at the local food store. The cops tell me they keep getting a report about a man that is molesting the briskets by touching,rubbing , feeling them up, flipping em slapping and doing inappropriate handling of em. When The cops see it’s just me, they just understand by now and know that I’m about to get my cook on.
    I have noticed before that when I am doing a brisket check, that people tend to do that strange walk around me to the far side of the isle.

Comment

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. Sounds to me like you ought to invite the local PD. to the casa to sample your product. You may end up with a PSD (personal security detail) out of it next time you are selecting the right clod of meat!

I’m surprised no one mentioned marbling. I like to look for nice marbling in the flat. I do also look for a thick flat and a nice flop, but to me marbling is the key.

Comment

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      I typically take marbling into account myself, then again, I also get Prime as much as possible and they are generally marbled beautifully.

Here's my prime brisket flop. I'll post on "show us what's cooking" tomorrow as I get my first brisket rolling.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190419_190900.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	667287Click image for larger version

Name:	20190419_191154.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	667288

Comment

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeaaaaa, that looks awesome. I love Prime brisket.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Also the meat temp will affect the amount of flop. All good suggestions above.

Lots of good tips here. I look for a thicker flat, good marbling in the point, nice fat cap which I trim to 1/4" - 3/8" thick, and some flop when picked up. I also look for a shape like the briskets in post #7 above. I also buy Choice or Prime grade only but have used Select if the marbling looks above average for the grade. I prefer natural Angus if the store can get it.

Comment

I bought two from Gordon Food Service; one that was somewhat flexible, and one that was quite stiff. 70 days wet aged and that stiff one was nice and flexible and cooked up wonderful. My personal selection nowadays is less how it feels sitting there in the meat case, and more in finding out the packed on date and wet aging them 60 to 70 days. Although there is something to a floppy brisket, don't fret if you can't find one, you can make it floppy. And I can just about promise you I'm not going to spend the money on a Wagyu brisket anymore. I've cook two or three of them over the years and they are never worth their price compared to a good Prime from Costco. Even a choice from Gordon's cooked up darn near as nice as a Prime from Costco.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here