Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Thick Do You Have Your Ribeye's Cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a ribeye, I agree with the consensus of 1 1/2 inches or slightly larger. Especially if I start with a sous vide for temperature.

Comment

The last ribeyes we had were gigantic tomahawks. They were at least 2 1/2" thick. We cooked them up and then divided them up - 2 tomahawks fed 4 of us. Recently, our local grocery store was selling NY strip loins for $4.99 per pound. I found one that had a minimal fat cap and cut it myself. I cut 6 2 1/2" steaks and then cut those in half, dry-brined and vac froze them. They have enough marbling that if I put them in the 14.5 WSM mostly-to-completely frozen and cook top grate with the bowl removed, by the time they've been flipped once and have hit 110 or so internal, they have already developed good sear. At that point, the reverse sear was an added bonus. Same principle would apply to ribeyes, especially given that they are more marbled than NY Strip. Also, the longer they cook the more of that wonderful fat renders and really tenderizes the steak.

This approach is a bit unconventional, but personally we've found that it produces really good results.

Comment

Although the 3" ubersteak by Troutman was impressive, 1-1/2" was the most consistent response and is what I went with.

Thanks everyone and have a wonderful Easter!

Comment

I don't know.... However thick the "Thick Cut" "Good (black package)" Ribeyes are at Wally World....
          Yes I buy steaks at the large box chains... especially if I see that Yellow must sell label....

When I get them at the local meat locker I am in that 1 inch to 1.5 inch range usually... Occasionally I will get the real thin sandwich cuts... love those things too! Anything an inch or over I typically reverse sear it.

Honestly I just really don't care how thick the cut is.... I really really like ribeye.... To each their own!

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            I am a sucker for the MUST SELL label also. Bonus buy at a discount!

I will also say that I cut my own mostly, rather than having them cut. One very sharp long knife and a membership at a wholesaler.

Comment

I prefer NY strip's to ribeye, but whichever I get, I have lately bought the full primal cut, and use my Victorinox Fibrox Pro Granton slicer to cut 2" steaks. Why 2"? Because that is the width of my slicing blade, and I am using the blade as the measurement device. Lay it down on the meat to find the next cut, then right through it like a hot knife through melted butter.

I love a good reverse seared 2" thick steak... now I am hungry!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Same knife. Sometimes I go 3" though, and split with wife. That's a ruler, and notching. Blade width seems legit, tho.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack I actually used my tape measure to check the blade width on the slicer, before using it as a cutting guide. I was kind of anal about getting some 2" slices, but didn't want to lay my tape measure on the meat!

Since we have some international members I will make my choice a universal measurement of 3-4 fingers.

Comment

I always get them at 1.5"

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                Honestly I just really don't care how thick the cut is.... I really really like ribeye....
                AMEN BROTHER!!!! I could not agree with you more, Ribeyes are my absolute favorite in the steak world.

Comment

inch and fifteen sixteenths

Comment

Where's ribeyeguy to chime in?

Comment

I will admit I have always been a ribeye guy. Now in my old age I'm getting a little snooty and seem to REALLY be liking Filet Mignons almost as well.
                      I always considered them a rich guy cut but kind of like them.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                        MBMorgan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nothin’ wrong with a properly prepped FM.

Inch and one eight to inch and one quarter, is what I've been doing every week in practice for steak comp's. That's what they provide for you. It' s a tough job to have to cook a couple good rib-eye every week, somebody has to.

Comment

Wife bought a beautiful (her words, and I AGREE) ribeye for grilling this weekend. BUT, she warned me it was a shade over 2 inches thick (which she didn't realize until AFTER she'd picked it on looks then had it weighed and THEN asked its weight which should tell you how GOOD it looks). So, I came to AR for some hints (or rather to be sure what I remembered from cooking these thick thingees with my Dad fifty years ago) still held. THANKS to you all for jogging my memories. And, if she bothers to ask, I can now honestly say, "Yeah, and I checked with the AR Pit just to be sure." She trusts you all - plus, the recipe I MUST follow is from Meathead's book, "The Science . . ." We just had our 45th anniversary, so we agree on some things, Meathead's book being a good one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here