Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket on the Weber - Need advice pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket on the Weber - Need advice pls

Hi Everyone!

I have a 3 1/4 lb HOF brisket that I plan on doing on the kettle tomorrow. Setup will be a 2x2 fuse ( about 100 briqs ) around the Vortex with a water pan inside. I'm pretty good at maintaining temps in the 225-250 range. The fuse should last for 10+ hours.

I wll salt the meat overnight, and use BBBR / oil in the AM before placing the meat on the cooker. I'll probably light the coals around 5AM and have the meat on around 6ish. I'll follow the instructions including the crutch and holding time for when the meat comes off.

I've read MH's articles and instructions, but have a few questions.

1. When do you inject it? Night before or morning before applying rub. I'll use beef broth.

2. What wood do you prefer? I got all kinds of chips for Xmas, and was thinking of Apple. I'd then use some Apple Juice with the crutch. #1 prefers "light on the wood". I can't use pecan.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

--Ed

I read the injecting article, so will probably let it sit overnite in the fridge.

Comment

By 2x2 you mean 2 wide and 2 high?

All looks good....I'm a fat cap up kinda guy, well, what is left of it.

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Jerod,

Thanks! You are correct about 2w x 2h fuse.

I like a mix of apple and cherry wood on most, the apple is nice and mild and the cherry gives it a bit of a tart/sweet kick. If your better half is not huge on smoke, I would stick with pure apple.

Comment

Good luck and hope you can give us a description and pictures. However, if it is a first you may be preoccupied which I understand.

Comment

Thanks All! Yes, I'll try to get some pictures!

--Ed

Comment

I like red/post oak for brisket and you can still use it with a light touch. I don't crutch anymore, but if I did, I don't think I'd use apple juice as I can't imagine wanting any sweetness with beef.

Comment

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              You may have something there about the apple juice. Got plenty of time to explore options and think about it. Thanks!

I like oak! Re-read recipe page and will switch to beef broth for the crutch. I don't think I want to taste sweetness over beef, either.
              Last edited by Medusa; February 27, 2015, 12:46 PM. Reason: More comments

Just for laughs... Medusa revealed ... Oh No!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Injector.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	66725

Comment

Sheep worming time???

Comment

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Ouch was my first thought.

I like Oak for brisket (gives it a bit more of that Texas flavor). I use Jack Daniel's barrel oak chips. I inject the night before, wrap in plastic and let it sit. I do this after salting but before rubbing. I apply oil (cooking spray) and rub the morning of.

I recently bought an injector which came with a similarly intimidating needle, as well as a smaller one. Mine is a pistol grip with selectable dosing so I can inject exactly 1 cc per site and do it very quickly.

Best of luck, Medusa and show/tell us how it comes out.

DEW
              Last edited by Dewesq55; February 27, 2015, 03:11 PM. Reason: Add link to the injector

Comment

Hi Dew,

Thanks for the info. I actually have the same oak chips you are referring to. Used them with a Tri-tip and love that oak flavor. I've got the apple ready for tomorrow, so we'll see how that comes out. I'm only using 4 oz - (2) 2oz foil packs back to back on the fuse.

Just injected, wrapped, and put in fridge. Didn't salt it, but will add some early AM before the rub. Since this is HOF, I'm curious as to how it will turn out with the injection and minimal salting time. (Lo Sodium Diet - ya know ) Might have made a mistake here. Could unwrap and salt later....

Your injector sounds pretty awesome!

Oh, oh, gotta get the cooking log started...

--Ed

Comment

I think you made the right choice going with broth for the crutch. When you're done, be sure to save the broth. I've found that the brisket flavored broth works great in place of regular beef broth in other recipes. Even in batches of chili to which I don't add brisket I can add great flavor with a cup of brisket broth.

Comment

I've done straight apple on brisket and liked it a lot. I prefer oak though. I think you have a solid plan. I think a small flat like that will cook a bit quicker than you're thinking, so you should have plenty of time for a good cambro hold.

Comment

• Guy
                      Guy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee, I was thinking the same. Seems like us amateurs should try a small flat of brisket for the first brisket cook. Your thoughts?

• Medusa
                      Medusa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would agree with this, as I certainly had some challenges. Plus, I should have kept at least some of the jus when I put it in the cambro.

The most important thing I learned was to have the grate positioned so new coals can be added if needed. I was lucky as I had easy & close access to the end of the fuse. I added a total of 22 ( 10, then 12 ), but I think I could have gone fewer on the 2nd round.

I'll do it again ( mebbe a HOP ) as soon as feasible.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Guy Medusa I don't think it's any harder to cook a full packer, it's just bigger and more awkward and takes a lot longer to prep. The trouble is you run the risk of turning a big expensive hunk of food into garbage if you screw up. With all the resources and expertise here though, I doubt anyone would really screw it up. Most folks really do their homework before venturing into full packer brisket land. I did a HOF on my first cook, and it's definitely quite easy and minimal by comparison. I've done 2 or 3 packers since. I'm just not a big fan considering the price so I don't do many unless someone requests one (and buys it!)

Thanks All!

I'm pretty sure it will be done earlier as this certainly isn't a 12 lb packer - LOL! Yes, I'm looking forward to the cambro hold. Won't be distressed about a mid afternoon or so brisket dinner!

Comment

• Medusa
                      Medusa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Better than a midnight dinner!

Here's the setup that I put together yesterday. There is about a 6" gap between the fuse ends. Grayish coals were left over from the previous cook - Beef Short Ribs. Also had close to 1/4 kettle left of that 2X2 fuse after the 5 1/2 hour cook. Vortex is centered.

I wouldn't have a clue about any of this if it weren't for this site!

Fuse lit and cover ON at 0518 today. It is now 0545 and the cooker temp is sitting at 151.

--Ed
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2X2_Fuse_Vortex.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	66953

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here