Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steamer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steamer recommendation

I have no idea how I will use it or not, but, I know after smoking pastrami last week, I would like to take a swing at a full flat, and do all the work myself on curing etc... I think I would also like to try finishing one off with a Steamer as most suggested, if nothing else to know the difference for myself (based on my skill levels). I may check with a friend when time comes to see if I can borrow one to try, but, what steamer do you use in your kitchen for such tasks, and what else do you use one for. I have a small plastic veggie one. Thank you in advance.

I have a steamer for the stovetop but not good for a full flat of pastrami. I treat pastrami flats like a brisket, I just bring them up into the 190s IT and finish them off that way to get a good bark; OR I QVQ which is a whole different animal but does not use steam either. The one time I did steam one I simply had a restaurant pan filled with about an inch of water, laid a baking rack in it, put the flat on the rack, then covered the whole thing with loose foil. Put it back on the pellet cooker and steamed it that way.

Again you soften the bark steaming which is why I prefer not to do it. But give it a try and satisfy your curiosity. Some folks prefer the steamed method. Good luck, show us the results !!!

Comment

Having done pastrami at home in a number of ways, to my taste/preference I do enjoy the steam finish as MH suggested. I just did two small (about 4# each, pre-smoke) flats last week. Used a baking/turkey pan with rack and tight foil cover similar to Troutman. 250 in the oven. I have learned to use slightly less than an inch of water as some moisture emits from the product. I also reserve some of the liquid for reheating/steaming on the stove at serving later. While I enjoy a "dryer" bark on Texas style brisket, on pastrami a somewhat softer bark seems more "deli" like to my tastes.

Comment

Yeah, I have no idea what I am going to like. Honestly, my "lesson in pastrami" I thought my first and only cook on pastrami would be a one and done thing. I have enjoyed Pastrami the few times I have had it in my life, however, I have never gone out of the the way to buy it. My mind changed on that drastically after having some freshly smoked (full on bark) took it to IT of 204, never wrapped. But, I suddenly enjoy Pastrami, and want to explore the process a bit, and see which direction it takes me. I will look for a good oven pan with rack, I honestly do not have one that really meshes with the other. But, I have wanted to get one of those as well. So, good enough reason, and seems to keep it simple, which is the way I prefer. Thank you. Now to flood all the other pages with my other cookware questions... (P.S. I have another one seasoning up right now for a cook tomorrow. Then taking it as a cold snack with some brown mustard, and swiss to my family get together this weekend.)
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 17, 2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Okay, your experimenting is a good thing, so to go beyond the equipment question, playing with the seasonings can be gratifying as well. I have extended the time after applying the rub, in prep for smoking, to a minimum of 2 days as I believe it intensifies the depth of flavor. Also, I add ground whole juniper berries to the rub mix as that's a flavor I like (especially in gin ). Play away...…….

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
            Okay, your experimenting is a good thing, so to go beyond the equipment question, playing with the seasonings can be gratifying as well. I have extended the time after applying the rub, in prep for smoking, to a minimum of 2 days as I believe it intensifies the depth of flavor. Also, I add ground whole juniper berries to the rub mix as that's a flavor I like (especially in gin ). Play away...…….
            Cool idea on the juniper berries (I like Gin). My hopes are to explore the peppercorn world while I come to understand a bit more of these processes and their results.
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 17, 2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here