Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chopped brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chopped brisket question

I'm thinking about chopping my next brisket for sandwiches and freezing the rest for future sandwiches and maybe beans.

Do those of you who chop only use only the point, or do you slice the flat, chop it, and mix it in with the point?

Thanks.

I’ve only chopped 1, select grade cooked whole, and I used the point and flat so all of it would have some fat mixed in. Add a little butter and water if needed when reheating.

Comment

I have never chopped a brisket, but if I did I think I would mix the point and flat together to give moisture and flavor to the flat portion.

Comment

I don't chop - it falls out of the bun too easily. However, dogs love chopped for the same reason...

Comment

Generally speaking mixing is the way to go. Here I am pulling out the heavy weaponry getting after my last full packer.....

Comment

I have a grinder plate (LARGE holes) to use for the really fatty stuff when it is really hot, and then cut across the grain and chop the rest. If I am serving 300 or so it all goes through the grinder.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              How large of hole grinder plate? I was asked to do for a Grad party.

We slice the point, vacuum pack and freeze individual portions for future consumption. The flat is what we generally use to fix chili. It’s so nice and tender, minor chopping if it can be called that way... It just falls apart.

I prefer to wrap in foil because it’s easier to collect that delicious Au Jus and use it to elevate our chili.

Cheers,
            Ricardo

Comment

I chop and mix point and flat together.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here