Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless shot ribs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I sous vide those all the time...
    5h will not get those done.

Try more like 48-72.
    At 133x72, they are generally the most amazing thing there is.

• Hugh
    replied
    Thank you folks. treesmacker , that photo is exactly what I was looking at. I'll keep shopping till I find some normal beef ribs, that is what I was looking to smoke next for some friends. Having said that, I have a couple of chuckies in the freezer and I will be trying out the Anthony Bourdain recipe in my Instapot Mosca.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    I cook these like a chuckie, or slice thin for bulgogi/kalbi.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Just about any dish that's some kind of beef stew is improved with short ribs.

• Troutman
    replied

grantgallagher is correct, it is what's beneath the chuck eye roll (sometimes called the American roll). The American roll is sold as a separate roast, it's the final portion of the longissimus dorsi muscle, or the muscle that starts at the back of the animal, runs through the rib section (that's the ribeye) and terminates at the blade bone in the chuck section.

What's left on the bottom of the chuck is heavily marbled, flat muscle that's cut cross sectionally and sold as boneless short ribs. Visually they appear to be the same but that's where it ends. If you try to grill them you end up with a very tough cut of meat. Remember, everything in the chuck is the shoulder muscle. It's a working muscle that contains lots of connection tissue that needs breaking down. If you braise or slow smoke these mock short ribs they come out fine. Just don't treat them like you would a steak or something cooked fast and hot. You get rubber bands.

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Buy a trimmed plate. Debone them yourself. So easy.

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    Yup. This is correct. Boneless short ribs are cut from the chuck, not the plate. I have never bought them in strips as pictured before but i have bought the below several times and cooked them low and slow just like chuck or brisket.

Found them to be delicious and much more like actual short ribs than a typical chuckie

• parkerj2
    replied
    I think I read somewhere that boneless short ribs are often just parts of the chuck roast just sliced to look as such and sold for a higher price.

Leave a comment:

• treesmacker
    replied
    I had some that looked a lot like the raw pic below (pic I found online). I thought they looked like they would be very tender based on the marbled fat throughout. I believe I sous vide them for 2 or 3 hours at about 135 degrees, and was disappointed that they came out tough. So, I would guess they would be best cooked low and slow or sous vide maybe 5 hours or so. I know they can be delicious, because i've had them at our local "River's Edge" restaurant (see second pic) and would rate that 5 stars; it looks like they probably do a low and slow braise on them.
    Can't help you with the PBC because I don't have one, but i would think a low and slow cook and then maybe go to a braise or wrap to finish tenderizing.
    Let's see what the Pit experts have to say .

Click image for larger version  Name:	bless beef ribs.JPG Views:	1 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	665643

Click image for larger version  Name:	bless beef ribs rivers edge.JPG Views:	1 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	665644
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_182850.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	713201
    Last edited by treesmacker; July 13, 2019, 07:49 PM. Reason: 7/13/2019: Added third pic - going to try this batch SV for 72 hours per @Potkettleblack suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    I do boneless short ribs a lot. But I do them in the Instant Pot, braised in red wine.

Honestly, as much as I love smoked meats, braised short ribs is one of the best things you can make. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can do them in a slow cooker or a Dutch oven.

I looked at a couple dozen different recipes, then used ideas from most of them, along with taking into account what I had in my pantry. I would recommend using this Anthony Bourdain recipe for beef bourguignon, substituting short ribs for shoulder or neck.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    My grocery store has thin sliced boneless short ribs. I’m pretty sure they’re different than actual short ribs, they look like they have different marbling when I compare them side by side to the flanken cut short ribs they sell. The thin sliced boneless or flanken style are both delicious when cooked hot and fast.

Leave a comment:

• Argoboy
    replied

I have purchased boneless short ribs at Costco a couple of times and I was never pleased with the results so I stopped buying them. I tried to upload a picture but nothing happened.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    started a topic Boneless shot ribs question

Boneless shot ribs question

Having trouble finding beef ribs but do have a line on boneless short ribs. Ive never cooked either. Are they much different in taste? Do you cook them the same? Id like to use the pbc, would you use the rack or hang them?

thx all

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here