Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "is it safe" post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "is it safe" post...

I smoked a packer brisket about a month ago. While still hot, I vacuum sealed several slices, and they have been refrigerated (but not frozen) since then. Sure I wish I had frozen it, but I didn't. No color change, looks ok, but - would you eat it now? Anybody have any guidelines on this?

I would probably not eat it. But you can certainly open it and give it the smell test.

Comment

I would not eat it. It is not worth it.

When in doubt, throw it out! -Meathead

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	vomit meme.gif
Views:	90
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	665113
        Last edited by Troutman; April 15, 2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

thanks everyone - it's now been dumped!

Comment

Moot point now but since they were still vac sealed I would have eaten them.

Comment

I would not have eaten myself after a month unless it had been frozen most of that time.

Comment

Leftovers max a week in fridge even when vacuum sealed. Frozen 6 months easy.

Comment

The real question is before ya threw it out did ya open and give it a smell test? Please do not eat any meat after a week sitting in the fridge. It’s just not worth the hospital bill.

Comment

I've heard of wet aging and dry aging beef, but not leftover aging. I think you made the wise decision!

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Left over again, did you just coin a new term ???

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Troutman

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Weird Al...well alright

I curious is vacuum sealing wile hot a thing?

Comment

I often vac seal hot food. The bags are capable of dealing with the heat. I package the food so it's as flat as possible, and that way I can get it cooled down quick and in the freezer faster.

IMO, eating any food that's been a month in the fridge is an iffy proposition, unless we're talking about food that's preserved with sufficient alcohol, acid, sugar, or salt. I realize large cuts of meat in cryosealed packages are often wet aged for a month or more at fridge temps, but these are large chunks of meat packaged in an environment with higher standards of sanitation than the typical household kitchen. I think you made the right call to discard it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here