Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Short Ribs

Picked up a rack of short ribs to smoke tomorrow. Been wanting to try these for a while! I'm planning to dry brine overnight then try David Parrishs Not Just For Beef rub on them. As it's my first time cooking these, I naturally have a few internal debates going on.
    Should I use the kettle with S&S or the PBC?
    Should I leave them as a full rack or cut them into individual ribs?
    Approximately how long of cook am I looking at with either option? I'm thinking about 8 hours if I do the full slab and 5 if I cut them up?
    Wrap or no wrap?
    Any other tips would be much appreciated!
    Attached Files

I would pack it on ice and Fedex to my address. I promise to give a full review with pictures.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Silly Hawker.............Express Mail them. 😁

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Silly, Mudkat I want them to get here before I expire.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol Tricks are for kids!

I have done them with the SVQ method, but never straight out on the grill. Got some in the freezer though. Couple of recipes on the free side:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ef-ribs-recipe

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ef-ribs-recipe
    Last edited by klflowers; April 13, 2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Personally, i would cut them up for more surface area exposure hence more bark and then kettle SNS them. Never used a PBC though

Comment

• parkerj2
        parkerj2 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is how I did mine the only time I did them - and I didn't like the results. More surface area made them cook too fast IMO and there was almost "too much" bark. The bark-to-juicy meat ratio was not great, but thats just me.

Our local grocery store cuts them individually so it's the only way I've ever had them. Either cooker should work well. Individually cut they should take 4-6 hours to cook. Short ribs are succulent. Enjoy!

Comment

I asked much the same question here not long ago. It seams there are several good paths to great short rids. After thinking through all the info i got here I cut mine in pairs, rubbed, then smoked at 275. I used pecan wood for the smoke and wrapped in butcher paper at 180 internal. They were probe tender at about 203. I put them in the faux Cambro for 2 hours. They were one of the best things I've ever eaten. There are those who don't wrap, those who cook at a lower temp and a lot of other variables. I know they are excellent pit masters. I've seen many of their post and pictures which leave no doubt. Like I said there are several paths to good short ribs, mine is only the one that worked for me.

Comment

I've only smoked single ribs, low 235 - 250 range. Dry brine, rub with BBBR. A little water in a bowl. I think 5 hours is what they took. They are done at probe tender. You're gonna like these. Like brisket on a stick!

Comment

It's hard to mess them up unless you overcook them. If you love bark, cut them into individual ribs. If not leave whole, or cut into two bone sections. I cut them into two bone sections.

Comment

I cut them into two bone sections and they are trimmed, salted and in the fridge. I think I'll kettle them at 250-275.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                You will not be disappointed!

I like to slash the membrane a few times and cut into two-rib pieces, and cook at 275 for about 5-5.5 hours.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                More surface area, I like it!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here