Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chuck-roast-"first-cut"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast "first cut" ?

I recently picked up this 2.35lb prime chuckie at The Fresh Market, and have it dry brining. I asked for this piece because I liked the marbling the best, and the butcher got kind of excited and said it was a "first cut" which contains chuck eye. I’m curious to know more, and if this is desirable, but am struggling to google anything I can actually comprehend. Can anyone explain in more layman’s terms if this is accurate based on the pic, and what’s going on with a "first cut" as opposed to any subsequent cut? Or point me to a useful link? Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	08FE5030-6154-4235-8BC6-70360BCF1B2D.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	663284

The closer the chuck cut gets to the rib section the more you get into the chuck eye roast. Somewhere around the 4-5 rib where that junction occurs the meat gets more tender like its neighbor the prime rib. I’d say you got the money end of the chuck, should be delicious!!!

Comment

Looks wonderful! Chuckeye steaks are my faves, they are the poor man's ribeyes. Never heard of first cut w/ chucks....might be butcher jargon or slang that's just not quite mainstream.

Comment

"First cut is always the deepest."
        Super looking hunk of meat.

Comment

He is referring to it as the first cut on the Chuck.. when ya break down a front quarter of beef it is broke separated right behind the front shoulder blade . Now one piece would have the Ribeyes and ribs the other one would be the front shoulder. Once ya get the front shoulder squared up you start cutting what look like Fred flinstone steak from the back that would have been butted up to the Ribeyes before breaking down the quarter.. so the first cut on the Chuck was right next to a ribeye!! Hope that helps.. and made some sense..

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee I suppose it is!!! The first cut is "the first cut off the meat saw when working on the Chuck"

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea that's what I said above, he's starting at the 4th or 5th rib and cutting forward, or first cut of the chuck end.

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman Yup definitely the money end of a Chuck!! If I am a ribeye short or two or three short of making even packages of Ribeyes I mark these as Ribeyes on the package.. same rib you spit the front shoulder off on a pig too .. I did not know the rib count on a beef,. To heavy to turn over and count!!

That’s a lot clearer now, thanks everyone! 👍🏻

Comment

I can't help, but that's a great lookin' hunk o' meat.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Thx Ron. Even better he charged me $4.99/lb instead of the displayed 6.99. We got to talking, and he’s doing a brisket and two butts on his offset tomorrow. It helps to be friendly and chat up your butcher I guess!

We had a local grocer here who for years the butchers cut and sold Chuckeye Steaks. They were the best steaks for the money. Really great beef flavor and really tender when not over cooked. I have been told by a few different butchers they are also known as Delmonico Steaks. The local grocer no longer does this cut and I sure miss them. I would really like to hear from the "meat cutting" experts on this forum about this particular cut of beef and how to talk to a butcher about getting some of these steaks . . . .do I ask for Chuckeyes, Delmonicos . . .do I ask for the chuckeye roast cut from the whole chuck and then cut my own steaks?

Comment

Love the marbling on it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here