Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is It Safe?

My local butcher has a 10% off on Senior's Day, Tuesday. Tri Tip was on "Special" this week at a lower price, so I took advantage of those discounts and got a Tri Tip this week. Into the fridge it went for an overnight dry-brine with the plan to get it on the smoker Wednesday. Turned on the pellet smoker and the igniter rod failed almost immediately and tripped the ground fault breaker. Rec Tec, and their fabulous customer service, has shipped a replacement rod but it won't arrive until Saturday. That Tri Tip has been in the fridge all this time, and I wonder if it will be safe to consume.

I'll cast a yes, but that is just me. If it seemed suspicious on cook day the dogs would get it. Here's a link I found that may be helpful to you until others chime in. https://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/meatinrefrig.html

Comment

I think it should be fine, especially since you brined it, but give it a good whiff and trust your nose. I recently heard Pat LaFrieda say "when people ask me how to tell if their meat has gone bad I tell them that meat is going to taste how it smells."

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to work in a butcher shop, and gave pretty much the same advise. Never got anybody sick to my knowledge. That said, I have subsequently learned that the human nose is not 100% foolproof for such purposes; nevertheless, I still consider is a good (and my primary) guide--if it smells like something I wouldn't eat, I don't eat it, otherwise, I do.

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Similarly, it's possible to cook meat the same day you buy it, and well before the expiration date, and it's possible for it to be "bad" as well. Nothing is guaranteed.

I imagine it's OK if its been refrigerated this whole time (and hopefully covered? though that's not SUPER key), and particularly if you're gonna cook it low and slow. If you happen to have a sous vide cooker, I'd maybe give the smoker a pass on this one and SV it, allowing you to hold it at temp for several hours and essentially pasteurizing it just to be sure. And regardless of the way you cook it, I might take this one up to medium or even bordering on medium well vs. say medium rare, again just to be on the safe side. I've even heard of folks doing tri-tip like a brisket, up to ~200 though that's not terribly common. Chances are you're fine, but use your best judgement and give it a good sniff certainly.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I've heard of that too, and I was surprised to hear it turned out good...I would've wagered a big no on that turning out good.

4 days? If your fridge is under 40 (or <38) I'd cast a yes.

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd agree, especially if it was good and fresh on purchase day. You probably don't have the packaging anymore, but if you do it would have a "packed on" or "sell by" date - you could check.
        I also agree with others - use the sniff test.

i've dry brined chuck roasts for 5(ish) days and they only got a little dried out. i would go for it

Comment

Yes here as well. The USDA guideline says 4-5 days which usually means at least a week for roasts. I've found that salt brining also helps because it helps lock in the juices that tend to leak out when meat sits for an extended period. I also suppose (but I'm not a food scientist) that the brining process may cut down on bacterial growth. So again, all things point to you being ok.

Comment

Get a kettle/sns backup. And a couple bags of charcoal. Problem solved

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here