Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak with a Glaze Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak with a Glaze Question

I stumbled onto a recipe for a well reduced (approx 50% reduction in volume) orange juice/molasses/rum glaze for steaks. I want to do my standard sous vide at 130°F, followed by screaming hot GrillGrates for 30-45 seconds instead of following the recipe and grilling or broiling. I'm concerned that GGs will just burn the glaze. Your thoughts and possible alternatives? I am also considering briefly 'simmering' the steaks in the glaze (shallow glaze depth) following searing.

I've done sugary glazes like that over charcoal but never on a screaming hot GG. Like you say it will just burn up. You might just brush it on at the end and let the ambient heat melt it into the meat's surface, or run it under your broiler for a few seconds to crystalize. Good luck.

Comment

Yeah, I would brush it on after the sear. It'll burn right up on the grill grates.

Comment

Thirding the burn.

Remove the grill grates.

Sous vide.

Shock, chill to fridge temp.

Treat as raw with original recipe for glazing.

Easy.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup ... +4

All that sugar will burn. I would Sous vide , shock or sear right away and then drizzle your sauce on to the steak and plate. Serve additional sauce on the side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here