Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef roast question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef roast question......

While I'm pleased with the results of my ribs, steaks and wings on my Weber Kettle grill (using the slow and sear), I would really like to try a beef roast. However, there are some complications.

While I'm a big fan of rib roast my better half doesn't care for it because of the amount of fat, although she loves beef. Put another way, if we are eating out I'll almost always have a rib eye steak while she prefers beef tenderloin filet.

So I'm trying to find a beef roast that might satisfy us both. Nothing too large (there is only 2 of us).

I'm a bit gun shy when it comes to roasts as my recollection from childhood is the gray, dry, chewy so called "beef roast" that was served at home. It was like trying to eat a football. So, being somewhat a newbie, I thought I would ask you more advanced pit masters for suggestions.

Dave

If you can find it in your area I'd try a tri tip roast. Especially if you can find prime grade. It should have enough marbling to satisfy yourself without turning off the wife.

Since our kid moved out, and there is just the two of us, tri tip has been our go to beef roast. I know some people consider tri tip a steak (and it can be cut into strips) but the whole piece is more of a roast in my opinion.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      They actually only grade the ribeye at the 13th rib, or sth, so it's very arbitrary for any other muscle, and even parts of the ribeye primal.

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      They grade only the rib eye but the whole beef is the same grade, Tri Tip from that hind quarter will be the same Grade as the prime rib from the front quarter prime is prime and choice is choice

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, if I was unclear, they grade the ribeye at the 13th rib, and apply the same grade to the entire cow, regardless of the intramuscular fat of the brisket, the chuck, the sirloin, the rump, or the rest of the two ton animal.

It's an efficient system, it tends to work acceptably, but if we're grading, it's a A for efficiency and a C for accuracy beyond certain ribeyes.

Cook her a tenderloin if that's what she likes. Bacon wrap it for extra flavor. Don't overcook it, just serve it rare.

Or a +1 on a tri-tip. My wife really likes a picanha, or rump cap as well !! Great beefy flavor and super tender.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're out east, the tri-tip will be hard to find. I'd try a tenderloin roast myself in these circumstances.

Prime tri tip cooks easy and quick and is delicious. Also a New York bonless roast. "choice" would be ok there without breaking the bank. The leftovers are great and can also go into something else should you choose.

both are solid choices.

Comment

Take a look at the "Baltimore Pit Beef" recipe on the free website section. Always a hit around these parts, and easy to do.

Comment

do a porterhouse, and she can have the tenderloin part and you can have the strip part

Comment

Ordered a tri tip from Porter Road, we will see how that goes.

Robert at Porter Road suggested a round roast. I assume its a top round but will check with Robert before ordering.

I'm finding the customer service at Porter Road to be outstanding. Every email has been answered within 24 hours.

Comment

• rodkeary
            rodkeary commented
            Editing a comment
            Tri-tip is also known as bottom sirloin. I bet Robert was referring to the shape of the roast and not the cut.

• JMessner
            JMessner commented
            Editing a comment
            I have been cooking round roasts for a while now....usually an eye round roast. I smoked the last one on my kettle with the SNS and sliced it up into French dip sandwiches with some au jous...delicious

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Eye of the round, you want to be very careful with, or slice it thin. It's pretty much just pure working muscle... dries out easily, and can get tough. Top and bottom round are both nice roasts that you can smoke a bit more casually.

Could be. I'll check back with him when the freezer gets a little emptier

Comment

Not really a roast, but perhaps brisket? If you can find a small one that is, you mentioned there's only 2 of you...but theoretically she could have the flat and you could have the point. Obviously even the smallest brisket is going to give you plenty of leftovers but nothing wrong with that! Either trim it up beforehand and use the extra for burgers, or cook it whole and use whatever's left for sandwiches, tacos, stir fry, or any number of other things.

That being said, tri-tip as the others have suggested is probably a more reasonable option but just wanted to throw that out there. Use this as your excuse to experiment!

Comment

What Donw said. Baltimore pit beef. Try that sandwich. You’ll love it
              If you've dreaded stuff that passes for roast beef and wished you could find the real deal then this Baltimore pit beef recipe is for you.

Comment

Rump or Sirloin Tip. Use a thermometer and don't overcook it. Pull it at least 10 degrees before your target temperature. Last one I did climbed 10+ degrees after I pulled it off the grill. If you are really trying to keep the fat content down, stay with choice grade. These cuts should be readily available in your (or anyone's) area and are fairly reasonably priced. Cooked properly (and really it's not that hard, just watch the temp), you'll end up with something akin to the roast beef that commonly gets served at a Sunday brunch. Nothing flashy here, just a nice piece of beef.

Comment

Thanks to all for the help!

Comment

Choice Strip loin, aka New York strip salted in the ice box for a day or two cook just like you would a prime rib granulated garlic, granulated onion heavy on the course grind black pepper. cook at 300 degrees until about 115 degrees internal temp. sear all four side take off at 125 will continue to cook to 135 and enjoy with your favorite compound butter or meatheads horseradish sauce also I would put a pan under the roast with a quart of preferable home made beef stock to catch any seasoned drippings and make ajus for French dip sandwiches with leftovers enjoy

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here