Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time Prime Rib for Easter - Tips and Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Prime Rib for Easter - Tips and Tricks

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advise as i try to tackle a new project: Prime Rib.

On the Saturday before Easter my wifes family is coming over for Easter dinner. As this is our first time hosting a big holiday meal at our place, i wanted to do something a little special and so iv offered to make a prime rib roast... which iv never made before. In the hopes of impressing her family and making a memorable meal, iv done a good but of research and planning, but im still a little unsure of the process so im here to ask for any helpful tips from anyone who has experience with this one.

Here is what im thinking so far:

I bought a 7lb bone in prime rib from Crowd Cow. Should be delivered fully frozen in a few days. I plan to move it from the freezer to the fridge about a 5 days before the cook to let it thaw out. 24-48 hours before the cook im going to rub it with sea salt and place it back in the fridge on a roasting rack covered loosely with plastic wrap.

The morning of the cook, im planning to reduce a bottle of red wine with some beef stock, onions, celery, and some herbs to go under the roast. Im going to make some sort of herb butter to cover the roast with. Then the roast will go into the oven at 250 until it hits an internal temp of 120. Im assuming this will take 2-3 hours. Ill then let it rest tented with foil for a while as i get sides ready. Finally, about 30-40 minutes before we plan to eat, ill crank the over up to 500 with convection cooking and pop the roast back in for a while to get some good crust on the outside. Im thinking this is just like reverse searing a thick steak which i do all the time.

Looking for any and all input from the AR community, but here are my main questions:

- I know you can smoke prime rib but this seams like a lot more effort (i use a Weber kettle with a SnS so theres a good deal of temp monitoring needed to keep a really steady temp). Is it worth it? Would i still be able to make a good Au Jus from the drippings?
    - Should i let the roast come to room temp before i start cooking it?
    - Any suggestions or the rub/herb butter?
    - How long should i keep it in the oven at high temp to get a good crust without overcooking the inside of the roast?
    - Lastly, this one is a little out there maybe, I watched an Alton Brown video about prime rib and he recommended placing it, roasting pan and all, in a huge clay flower pot in the over to help protect the roast from anything funky in the over and to help keep a really constant temp. Has anyone else seen that? Seems a little excessive to me.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

~Dan from Boston

You know this is a BBQ site. Right?

I've done plenty on my kettle with SnS using reverse sear. You can put a drip pan under the roast I add a little beef stock but I don't see why you couldn't use your Au Jus just don't let it dry out. My wife used to do these in the oven. Came out great! But since she let me do one, we've never gone back inside. Good luck with whatever why you go!

Comment

• Fortin21
      Fortin21 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, I know.. Believe me, if this were just for my wife and i or some friends, id be using the smoker for sure, but with the in-laws coming over, im looking to make this as traditional and foolproof as possible and also maybe save myself a little time take care of other stuff around the house that morning. But if youre telling me the end product is really that much better coming off a smoker as opposed to the oven.. maybe ill rethink my approach.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We've used the method you're proposing several times - all successful. You can use the same approach with a smoker, and brown on a cast iron skillet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC664725-650B-41B5-A55F-422B96DE7B66.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	662149Click image for larger version

Name:	0C7682FC-B1A8-4109-A662-AB508F3D72A4.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	662151Click image for larger version

Name:	9FEF48F2-E97D-4EA7-A474-E6672AE41F86.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	662150 Last one we did.

Comment

I cooked this one on a Weber 22" with SNS. It's actually one of the easiest and forgiving cooks out there. Just make sure you monitor the internal temp, kettle temp isn't quite as critical.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prime rib 02.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	662186

Comment

• Fortin21
        Fortin21 commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks awesome! If i can get results anything like that ill be real pleased.

How many like the beef well done? That really screwed up my first prime rib. I suggest cooking a similar roast before hand to practice.

Comment

You are on the right path, and the oven can produce a great Prime Rib Roast.
        I use Mrs O'Leary's Cow Crust over mayo for my rub and we like the results.
        I cook to temperature and don't think about time when preparing, but it is rather quick.
        225-250 oven on convection.
        Cook until about 115-120 degrees internal and then remove from oven.
        Crank oven temperature up to 500-550 degrees and put back in oven
        When internal temp reaches 130-135 remove and serve immediately.
        Someone wants well done then cut off their slice and throw back in oven.

Comment

Can't help on the cook, but we hosted Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. My advice would be to try and relax as much as possible - it can be a little stressful trying to cook for a house full of loved ones. Solicit help if possible, and try to politely ignore "helpful" suggestions. I had some of the guests slicing onions and tomatoes, easy stuff like that. Especially the kids - they got into helping.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here