Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami question......

…....or maybe more accurately a brisket cut question. First, a shout out to MH and a thanks for helping me raise my pastrami making game to a level that makes family and friends very happy.

So this week I made a couple chunks of pastrami. I didn't want to take the time to corn my own brisket so took the pre-prepared route. I had the wife do the shopping as I'm restricted from much activity post surgery. I asked her to pick up pieces that resembled a jewelry box in shape, or in other words fairly even in thickness to all four edges. She did pretty well with one, the other a bit less so, but to her defense she only had a few to choose from that day and I told her I wanted two. I'll post a pic below of a center slice from each of the chunks. Both packages were marked as being flats, and the top piece gives a cross section that I would expect from a typical flat. The bottom piece appears to me to be both a bit of flat and maybe a bit of point. Particularly with the amount of fat marbling present. My supposition is that in the large scale processing these probably come from they don't mind getting a bit of both in one piece near the edge of the point which would line up with roughly the center portion of the flat. Packaging portion sizing is likely a bigger priority than separation. I would guess that at the thickest end of a full brisket they might separate the two so they can market the one as all point for those who prefer that. Does that seem like it or does anyone have inside knowledge to confirm?
    Attached Files

Yep, the marbling on the top 1/2 of the bottom slice looks like point to me. Mine look like that all the time, I think processing plants don't care and they hack them off giving some point where the overlap is. If I can get a little point I consider it a win. Although for pastrami I tend to prefer flat much more, whereas for regular brisket I prefer point all the way!

Comment

I agree with it being a win to get a portion of point. It makes for a bit more succulent sandwich without being too fatty.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here