Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about meat cuts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about meat cuts....

At the supermarket and saw "top loin NY Strip steak".
    is this the same as a New York Strip?

They sure make things confusing when trying to buy meat

I'd have to see it, like you said, "confusing."

We had someone on the main site that was sold "Baby Back St. Louis Ribs." I was picturing one whole side of the hog.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like spares, or really small St Louis!

Looks like a New York strip but has a small bone at the wide end. Perhaps some of the spine?

Comment

As far as i know it is the same thing as a NY Strip. Sometimes they think adding more words will make it more fancy.

Backroadmeats will be able to correct me if I am wrong though........

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        This kind of thing is really common, especially at supermarkets.

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker you are correct.. on a sirloin there is the loin a bone and the tender loin.. NY strip is just the loin and no tenderloin.

The boneless top loin steak might just be the most famous steak -- but not by this name. More commonly known as a strip steak or New York strip, this is one of the most popular steaks in restaurants and grocery stores. As the name implies, the top loin steak comes from the top portion of the short loin primal cut.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here