Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Beef Recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Beef Recipe?

Hi friends, I bought a chuck roast tonight to smoke tomorrow, but can't seem to find the recipe! I know I've seen several posts here about pulled beef. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, any pointers would be great!

Dave

I don't know much about cooking a chuck roast, but my first ever brisket I wrapped in foil (just like I saw on TV, before I found this site) for nearly the whole cook. I then let it rest (in the foil) for about 2 hours. It came out so tender that I couldn't cut it and so had to pull it. It was ok, but not near as good as what I make nowadays. I did learn something that day, though. Wrapping it in foil seems to make meat fall apart tender and I do it on pulled pork all of the time. Whatever you do cooking-wise, I would probably leave time to have it wrapped in foil afterward to up the pullability (is that a word?). Oh, and that BBBR rub is awesome on anything beef.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Pullability is a word we all know, to heck with Oxford!

If you want to pull it you will need to get to at least 200 internal more than likely. I cook to bark, then wrap. Then take it on up, either in foil, or in a crockpot.

If I have no time to BBQ it the wife will brown it really good in a skillet, then put it in the oven at a low temp over night.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try finding that BBBR rub. The roast is only 3 lbs, so I I'm hoping to not have to wrap it through the stall. I'm using Mesquite wood for the first time. I wanted oak, but the oak at my local store didn't look very impressive.

Comment

Do it the exact same as if it were a pork butt (if you want it pulled that is). Just like fredcanfly says, use BBBR, don't use a pork rub.

I did a 3lb top blade/flat iron roast and it stalled at 158*. Depends how hot you smoke, but I was 235 roughly.
        Pretend it's pork, do everything the same except the rub and you'll be good! I would trim as much useless fat first as realistically possible, chuck roasts tend to have a lot.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info, Aaron. Thank you. I'm glad you guys walked me through the pork butt a few weeks ago. I felt that turned out beautifully, so I'm feeling confident. I just hope my family likes it.

Dave

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
        Thanks guys. I'm gonna try finding that BBBR rub. The roast is only 3 lbs, so I I'm hoping to not have to wrap it through the stall. I'm using Mesquite wood for the first time. I wanted oak, but the oak at my local store didn't look very impressive.
        See what I did here: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...on-the-rec-tec BBBR is short for Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub and you can find the recipe on the main amazing ribs site. I cut the pepper by 1/3 and also cut the chipotle down a bit.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great mgaretz! Hope mine turns out half as nice. Not feeling too great about my chili powder, and didn't have any chipotle so i had to use cayenne. Hope that's ok.

• fredcanfly
          fredcanfly commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the cayenne should go just fine. I find it's little more heat, a little less flavor. If you like that sort of thing, it will work well.

The family enjoyed this one: http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10...tout-beef.html

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks delicious IQ

To get the beef to pull you really have to cook the heck out of it. I like to take it up to an internal temp of 203F and hold it there a while. This requires you cool your smoker off to around 200F once the meat hits 203F. Then just check it every half hour until it's pull apart tender.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3274.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	6671

Name:	IMG_3276.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	6672

Name:	IMG_3280.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	6673

Name:	IMG_3283.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	6674

Name:	IMG_3285.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	6675

Comment

Quite nice, PitBoss! Having done it this way, would you say you prefer it pulled, chopped, or sliced?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here