Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bison brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bison brisket

Has anyone tried a bison brisket? I have a farmer friend who is offering me one at a rather attractive price. I don't think I would treat it any differently than a beef brisket. I've had many other bison cuts and they're all leaner than their beef equivalents, so I'm just not sure how the leaner cut might affect the cook. Thanks.

Leaner is the key operative word. Be careful, I have NO experience, but someone will come along & give some well needed advice.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello bottom of Winnebago from middle of Winnebago.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      East or west or just right in the lake?

BTW that wouldn’t be the farm on the side of 41 would it?

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      West side. Oshkosh. The farm I'm getting it from is Polish Ponderosa in Berlin.

I would buy it just to try it. Not everyday I would come across something like that.

It will be leaner.

Comment

Inject maybe? Try it and see. I'll bet it will be good.

Comment

Tatonka!!

1. I get it just to try it out.
        2. Take note and photos of the marbling for reference and sharing.
        3. You might consider a late wrap at 185 or so.
        4. Cook to tenderness, just like beef.
        5. Make sure you report back to the Pitt.

I had a Tatonka steak in San Diego. Frankly, it was excellent.

Comment

I actually like bison, they sell the steaks and ground meat in the grocery. I would think the brisket might be really lean as well. Definitely plan on injecting. Let us know how it turns out, we’re all curious.

Comment

You've all convinced me to buy it. I'll keep you posed when I get it in the smoker. That'll probably be in a month or so. I definitely am considering injecting it. This will be my first brisket of any species which probably isn't ideal, but the price is so good I can't pass it up.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't hesitate to wet age it for that month or so before you get to smoking it. It should help with tenderizing the brisket.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Or even Umai bag dry age ..... oooooooo

• TheQuietOne
              TheQuietOne commented
              Editing a comment
              It's frozen, so I'm thinking that dry aging wouldn't work so great. Wet aging sounds like it has possibilities. I've never done it before, so I'll have to do some research.

I have no experience with Bison, but if i were to logic my way through this leaner meat, I would say wrap it at 150 before the stall to retain even more moisture. The stall is a moisture sucker. Other than that, I'd treat it like a regular brisket. Looking forward to the results!

Comment

Bison burgers are tasty - that’s my only experience with the animal. I’d definitely buy it if given the opportunity. I never inject beef or pork, but knowing the leanness of bison I would give it a go. Just consider it an educational experience that may end up with a delicious meal!

Comment

I would consider grinding it. It will likely be a lean and tough brisket, but bison burgers are awesome. And you will have total control over the fat content.

Comment

I love bison burgers and add ground bison to my meatloaf as well, along with beef and pork.

You sure can't beat bison for great flavor. Bison brisket would be a fun cook. Wish I could find one.

I'd inject with phosphate from Butcher's BBQ mixed with homemade beef broth and smoke just like beef brisket, checking for probe tenderness at 190 deg F and upwards until it probes like butter.

If it turns out too dry, you can always chop it, add sauce, and still have great sammies.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here