Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Shoulder Clod vs Inside Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Shoulder Clod vs Inside Round

My wife makes tamales that she sells and I am the prep man for the meat (damn), The standard that we do is pork using shoulder, We have been playing with a beef recipe using chuck roast however, I have been at Costco looking at beef shoulder clod and inside round. Anybody have experience with these 2 hunks of meat, I am looking for a juicy meat that pulls/shreds like pork shoulder does and I like the size that these come in(28 lb avg)

Shoulder clod will work if you have a big enough cooker. There is extra cleaning of stuff you don’t want in tamales but that’s easier after it cooks. It’s a huge piece of meat with all of the connective tissue and such and will have great flavor and moisture. That can be braised as well.

The round is beefy but much leaner and generally not shredded.

Comment

• Outlaw
      Outlaw commented
      Editing a comment
      That is the info i am looking for. Both are about the same cost, I will be doing the same as I do with the pork shoulder. clean the nasty stuff out as I shred. The good part is I am 'required' to test the meat before it ever hits the masa.

Hey... welcome to the pit! A lurker I see. I would be happy to have tamales made with whole clod.

Comment

I would choose clod over round for sure. Chuck roasts would be another good option.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I love a good chucky.

Comment

This post intrigued me, because I lived in San Ysridro for 25 years and worked in Mexico City for a year. What I found is, in hindsight, what I should have suspected.

Tamales por la familia - traditionally folks get together for a couple days, and start the makings the day before feasting. Here, brisket - our own king of the low and slow - is what is used.

The 'street' tamales I've eaten every where I've ever been - from kiosks in Zona Rosa to car trunks outside Home Depot in St. Louis, use inexpensive cuts like Chuck.

The key is the cook, the masa, and the touch of sauce.

Any cut works - it's the prep, the cook, the cambro, and the juice buildup before pulling. It needs to be loved. If you do that, like kids and dogs, you won't go wrong.

Comment

• Outlaw
            Outlaw commented
            Editing a comment
            100% agree. Just lookin for the meat to get it started. A day of smoking the meat then we make it happy before it meets the masa. And my wife hits the masa out of the park. That is why I am looking for the best beef option, With that said, love your last line. It says it all

BallisticBBQ (on their Facebook page) just did a 23lb clod to pull. He ended up wrapping it which cut the cook time way down to around 10 hours, I think on a pellet grill @250. I have seen others that took over 20 hours. One clod would make a whole lotta tamales.

Comment

Welcome to the active side of the Pit. Good luck with your Clod and your business.

Comment

I have not cooked it, but I have enjoyed it in the Texas Hill Country. I like it better than Brisket. I would not use select, but at least choice.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Show us whatever you decided on and the process!

Comment

No beef shoulder clod in Norcal at my Costco's.

Comment

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post

Tamales por la familia - traditionally folks get together for a couple days, and start the makings the day before feasting.
                    It's called a Tamalada.

Comment

• JGo37
                      JGo37 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was trying to remember that - awesome add = thanks...

For what it’s worth, we use chuck roast. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here